We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

Warning: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores. Rip off!

Do not book with them! You do not get what you pay for.

We booked a transfer from Flores to Panajachel (overnight bus). The guy in the store is called Ronald Lopez (other guys there are named Cesar and Jimmy). The store is located on Isla de Flores in the inner road (not the one at the water, but one road more inside) behind the green monkey hostel.

They showed us pictures of the three bus options: Second class, first class, and luxury. We paid 350 Quetzales for the first class bus. When we got picked up and brought to the bus station, there was only the second class bus and we had no other choice than taking it. The first class is supposed to be long leg space leather seats and comfortable travel buses. And those buses exist, since I had friends who took those buses. This bus was just an old run down bus with barely leg space. So he just booked us in the second class bus but got the money for the first class one (which was 100 Quetzales more).

We arrived at 5 am in Guatemala City and should be picked up at 6 am. At 8 am we called Ronaldo the first time and he said in 45 minutes we will be picked up. After 1.5 hours we called again, he said 10 minutes… After that he did not answer the phone anymore and did not reply to texts even though he read them. 5 hours later a taxi came and picked us up and brought us to another bus station where we were put into a chicken bus to Panajachel. After 16 hours we finally arrived at our destination.

Not only that he screwed us over, he also let us wait for hours without knowing anything. Please try to avoid this lying sneaky guy!

10 replies to this topic
Oradea, Romania
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

I have also been ripped off by these people. I payed and asked specifically for a certain bus to Guatemala City in which i could sleep. He charged me for that but he put me on a normal bus for double the price. The guy named Cesar stole my sunglasses and he also tried to steal my wallet taking advantage of the crowd and rush in the bus station. Fortunately enough i was already suspecting he is a criminal because of the sunglasses so he could't take my wallet, but otherwise he would have. These guys are criminals. Don't book with them!!!

Oradea, Romania
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

I have also been ripped off by these people. I payed and asked specifically for a certain bus to Guatemala City in which i could sleep. He charged me for that but he put me on a normal bus for double the price. The guy named Cesar stole my sunglasses and he also tried to steal my wallet taking advantage of the crowd and rush in the bus station. Fortunately enough i was already suspecting he is a criminal because of the sunglasses so he could't take my wallet, but otherwise he would have. These guys are criminals. Don't book with them!!! There is also a kid there. I think he is Cesar's son, he was nice, he helped us with directions and showing us where we have to go... He seemed like a good kid, but his father is a criminal so probably he will end up having he same fate....

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

I was just there and used Ronald at Onca Travel Agency. I had excellent service! I can't speak to the other employees mentioned.

He booked a tour bus to Tikal which came to our hotel at the time stated and picked us up and dropped off us at the time stated as well. It was cheaper booking with them than through our hotel. Ronald speaks English which helps when clarifying prices, destination and instructions.

He also went above and beyond as my daughter lost her Canadian Passport. He got on the phone and spoke Spanish to different airlines as we had to get to the Canadian Embassy in Guatemala City. Not only did he organize us to get on an airline that would take a copy of the passport, he personally drove us to the airport and came in with us to the check in counter and made sure everything was ok.

His kindness and customer service was beyond excellent. I would recommend him highly.

Edited: 07 February 2017, 18:49
El Segundo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

I, too, had a bad experience with ONCA. In a different way.

I booked an 8am shuttle to Semuc Champey with Ronald at ONCA Travel while staying in Flores. The morning before my departure at around 3am, I fell violently ill with what I believe to be food poisoning. I couldn't keep anything down and had a high fever but I waited an hour until I texted Ronald at 4am to inform him that I was incredibly ill and would be unable to make my shuttle. I asked him if it was okay to reschedule for the following day. No answer.

After a pretty torturous night spent at the side of the toilet, I still had not heard from Ronald. So I asked my hostel receptionist if he would call him and reiterate what I stated in my text. This was around 7am. When Ronald answered, he asked to speak with me, and he was incredibly hostile. "Why didn't you tell me last night you were going to be sick?!" He asked me. I told him I had no idea I was "going to be sick" and that I sent him a text around 4am when it hit me. He laughed and basically called me a liar, telling me he never received it. He kept repeating that I should have told him "last night" that I was going to be sick, and that I have majorly inconvienenced he and the shuttle driver. After being belittled and ridiculed by him, I told him I would make it known to other travelers not to book with him. He, of course, didn't like the sounds of this. And after more hostility, I finally hung up on him. I went back to my bunk to recover, and was awoken by the receptionist and told that there were 2 men waiting in the lobby to speak with me. I dragged myself out of bed only to find Ronald and the shuttle driver.

Ronald, again, repeated angrily what he told me on the phone, and while I began to defend myself, he pointed to the shuttle driver (who was laughing) and told me to take up my concerns with him. When I looked at him, all he said was "if you want to reschedule, you'll need to pay again." I asked them why they pulled me out of bed to tell me this, and as I walked away, they exited the lobby, laughing and calling me a "stupid gringa".

I've never felt more humiliated or belittled in my life. And the worst part is, these guys walked away happily with my money. DO NOT book with them. And be careful who you do book with. They're all in cahoots with each other and the police do nothing. It needs to be exposed how they treat foreigners and I will make my best effort at letting everyone I know who enters the island of Flores about my mistreatment.

Bielefeld, Germany
1 post
5. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

CHEATING COMPANY !!!

We booked a package for 2 transportations and 1 full day tour in semuc champey. The full day tour didnt exist at this company so we had to PAY AGAIM in semuc. The shuttle for the second transportation wasn't paid. So we had to PAY AGAIN...

6 posts
6. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

My name is Cesar...for your information I never did stole nothing from you ...why you come up with a such of lye ? Sunglasses , and wallet thats a lye of yours...im not a criminal ...you should see 1st before you talk ..in September of 2016 I got away from onca travel so you just lye ...becaruful what you talk about...

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
40 reviews
22 helpful votes
7. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

Is that a threat?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
8. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

Cesar cheated me and many others too. You are a fraud and a liar. This guy now works for Neverending (Everlasting) Travel Agency In Flores. Scamming andf cheating. Same person.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 21:49
6 posts
9. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

I never atole anything from no body ¡¡!! Becareful what you said!! Don't be a f.. lier...😈

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
40 reviews
22 helpful votes
10. Re: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores

threatening people again?

Reply to: Do not use ONCA Travel Agency in Flores
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted