We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use the Backpacker tour company

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
Do not use the Backpacker tour company

They are on Calle Playa Sur. We wanted transport Only to Tikal, first they wanted Q100 but everywhere else does it for Q80. They went down on price and asked what time we wanted to leave. We said 6am the following day but they didnt arrive. The hotel owner called and was told they were on route just collectin others from the island first. Eventually a man arrived and said as there were only 2 of us we had to wait until 8am. We had been awake since 5am! Very poor service do not use

13 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
373 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
11. Re: Do not use the Backpacker tour company

Based on the description of the facial scar, sounds like the same person who runs/used to run San Juan Travel that gets so many similar bad reports here. I’m doubtful there’s a way to really stop him. Just keep posting these stories so more people are aware!

Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
12. Re: Do not use the Backpacker tour company

A DIFFERENT STORY

We booked transport to and from Tikal, English speaking guide and transfer to Belize City and boat to Caye Caulker. We got a really good price and service was fine!!

All tourists end up with the same English speaking guide at Tikal, so it doesn't matter where you book.

We had to wait in the morning, like 20min, forthem to pick us up. But it's still in Guatemala and not Europe!

I'm glad we had a positive experience. Altough we didnt meet scarface :)

Edited: 11 August 2018, 18:05
1 post
13. Re: Do not use the Backpacker tour company

Enrique (the guy with the scar on his face) is NOT trustworthy, do NOT book anything through Enrique Backpacker Tours in Flores, Guatemala. When we arrived by taxi in a nearby town his driver came up to us and talked us into taking his cab to Flores, which was our destination. He took us straight to the Backpacker Tour office! Enrique and his cronies did a real sales job on us. I was interested in doing a Volcano hike so he badgered me into doing the toughest hike of all, an overnight hike up Acatenango. This volcan is the 3rd highest in all of Central America which he didn't tell us. I was 61 yrs. old then and he told me it was easy and that I could handle it no problem. Nothing could be further from the truth. He charged me twice what all the other people I met on the shuttle to the volcan paid. I paid about $225 CAD and I ended up not even doing it because it was way too difficult for me. He told me I would have a porter to carry all the gear (sleeping bag, tent, tent poles, water jug, food, heavy jacket, etc., etc. which all weighed at least 50 lb. There were no porters in sight. I asked for a refund and he refused even though he had said when I booked this hike that if I couldn't do it he would give me a full refund. I called him several times and he gave me the run around, saying that I needed to call the office in Antigua where the shuttle came from. They would not cooperate at all, they were in cahoots with Backpacker Tours. I called Enrique again after the wild goose chase he sent me on to the shuttle company and he kept hanging up on me. There was nothing I could do because now I was in Antigua and Backpacker tours was in Flores. They are an absolutely terrible company. They lie and steal your money. Avoid them at all costs!!

Reply to: Do not use the Backpacker tour company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted