We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

Amman, Jordan
3 posts
Save Topic
Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

HI,

I will be staying 5 nights in Athens with my husband and two kids (9, 5) we are really confused whether to stay in Glyfada or Central Athens, we love shopping , good food and also we would like to go for a couple of drinks for a couple of nights if we secure baby sitting service. We are also going to rent a car for sure.

thank you in advance for your advises.

Nour

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Glyfada
Glyfada
Attica, Greece
Central Athens Hotel
Central Athens Hotel
1,942 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Il Salotto
££ - £££, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Mikaello
££ - £££, American, Healthy
Zahoulis
£, Mediterranean, Barbecue, Greek
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
409 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

If you have car rental stay in Glyfada is more wide than city center also you 'll be 10 min walk from swimable beach for the kids all action in summer months tranfered to south suburbs all the good bars beach clubs go to Island club at varkiza for drinks

Also with your car you can go to visit the historical Centre of Athens or Cape Sounion

Mentioned in this post
Glyfada
Glyfada
Attica, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Amman, Jordan
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

Thank you Alexis

Delphi,Greece
Destination Expert
for Delphi
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

The question here is if the main focus of your visit is shopping , good food and a couple of drinks or you plnat to go in Athens for the main sites around the historic center, wishing to additionaly have shopping, good food and a couple of drinks.

I think there is plently of shopping, nice taverns and bars around the city center AND you have the major sightseen places in walking distance and/or a couple of metro stops away. Staying around the center you can easily pop up to accommodation for a nap or a couple of hours relaxing between activities too.

In Glyfada you stay in a rather quiet posh suburb which a not-so-great-but-okey-ish-beach attached where you can fall on a daily routine of swimming, eating, relaxing, shopping, having a drink or two, but if you plan to commute in Athens center daily, it doesn't worth the hussle. Car or not, it's more than 40 minutes from Glyfada to city center one way, using public transport even considerably more. I wouldn't stay in Glyfada if I was planning to go in Athens center everyday. Just my opinion.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Glyfada
Glyfada
Attica, Greece
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
136 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

I think that Glyfada is great..I lived there , before. 40 minutes is nothing by public transport. And for kids is much better to be in Glyfada instead to be in hot Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Glyfada
Glyfada
Attica, Greece
Markopoulo
Level Contributor
1,203 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

I agree with mariha2912's reasoning, not so much with the conclusion, lol!!

If you were by yourselves I would deifinitely recommend to stay at the center, no doubt. I mean, Gazi and Psirri have great places where you can go and have a drink and shopping-wise the center is the best in all Greece not only Athens (Ermou Street, Kolonaki, Syntagma etc etc). But the kids change the equation.

Here is what you have:

Glyfada is quiet, peaceful, with wide streets where it's easier to walk having two kids with you. It is at walking distance from a (mediocre) beach but a beach nevertheless. It is at driving distance from a lot of clubs, organized beaches and other seaside suburban cities like Vouliagmeni, Varkiza, Saronida and Lagonissi (in the last two beaches are considerably better). It is also relatively close to Cape Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon which are very beautiful and certainly worth a visit. But...

Going to the center with a car won't be a piece of cake. It's not like you' re going to drive, reach the sites, park, get out and go. Athens traffic can be chaotic and very tricky to negotiate for someone who hasn't faced it before. Find a place to park can be quite and adventure. These 40 minutes can easily become 1 hour or more. A lot of greeks (including myself) hesitate to take their car when they go to the center and use public transportation instead.

But can you say you've gone to Greece and not see the sites?

My advice would be to split. Stay two days at the center without renting a car and in the morning of the third rent your car and drive down to Glyfada.

Mentioned in this post
Gazi
Gazi
220 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Ermou Street
Ermou Street
419 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Glyfada
Glyfada
Attica, Greece
Vouliagmeni
Vouliagmeni
East Attica Region, Greece
Sounio
Sounio
East Attica Region, Greece
Temple of Poseidon
Temple of Poseidon
1,884 Reviews
Sounio, Greece
Amman, Jordan
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

Thank you all for the useful tips ...really appreciate all the inputs you are all very helpful

7. Re: Glyfada vs, Central Athens for family Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2018, 20:18
Get answers to your questions about Glyfada