We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Early dinner restaurants?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Early dinner restaurants?

My husband and I will be arriving in Madrid on Sun. morning Dec. 11th. We know that dinner in Madrid is typically served late, and we are not really late night people to begin with. So we'd appreciate any recos for restaurants that serve dinner early. Proximity to our hotel-- the NH Nacional, Paseo del Prado 48-- would be a plus. This would be especially appreciated for Sun. since we are flying overnight from NYC, and will be totally exhausted.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Early dinner restaurants?

Do yourself a favor and take a short rest when you first arrive. It will help you adjust to the local customs much quicker. Lunch in Madrid usually doesn't begin until after 1:30 pm, lasting until 4 or 5 pm. Tapas begin around 7:30 pm at a number of places and will last for a couple of hours. Dinner would be early if taken before 10:00 pm during the winter months, but it is possible to find a place. After all, you're not the only ones looking for a place to dine on their first night in Madrid. If nothing else, you can have room service.

You can check the following web site for restaurants that may serve an early dinner for tourist. You also need to check on what's open on Sunday for dinner:

http://www.reservatumesa.com/

I also recommend that you download a free copy of Maribel's Guide to Madrid. You may find it useful.

http://maribelsguides.com/

Chicago, Il
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Early dinner restaurants?

Hi,

Just got back from madrid and ran into the same problems, there are very few restuarants open early. There is one we got from the Rick Steves guide, Los Galayos, right on the north east corner of Plaza Mayor. Take the metro from anywhere to Puerta del Sol and walk the few blocks to Plaza Mayor. They serve dinner at all hours, so we went a few times at 6 or so. Also, Rick Steves recommends going to the department store El Corte Ingles for lunch and or supper. These stores are all over the place, each one has a cafeteria or restuarant that serves till 8 at nite. Perfect for people like me who can't digest food at 10 or 11 at nite. Also, be aware that there is an enormous amount of construction around and can be very frustrasting, we had to grin and bear it. If you have the chance, take the fast AVE train to Sevilla for a day trip. The Spanish rail pass is a good deal for travel outside the city, depending on how long you stay. Have fun.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Early dinner restaurants?

You can always go to chain type restaurants that are open all day. Such as VIPS,(kind of like a diner with salads, sandwiches, melts, pasta etc and stuff but food is just average) there is one a few blocks up Paseo del Prado in the same building as the Palace Hotel. Next to Starbucks and Planet Hollywood.

And in Plaza Colon (10 minutes further up the same street)you have the Hard Rock Cafe.

Ok, I usually recommend more authentic places but if you must eat around 6 or 7 and want a full meal those are pretty much your best option and you won't be dining alone. Or at 7 go for tapas near Plaza Mayor, lots of places around there too. Enjoy your stay!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Early dinner restaurants?

Thanks for all the advice. I think we'll avoid the chain restaurants since we can get that type of thing anywhere here at home. Los Galayos is on several guide book and website recommended lists, so we might be eating there several nights as well. Any other suggestions?

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
247 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Early dinner restaurants?

Yeah I agree, go for VIPs or Hard Rock :)

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Early dinner restaurants?

Hi Flojo,

You are visiting Madrid again. Lucky you!

Take Robert's suggestion about downloading and printing Maribel's guide. I just did last week, and it is full of information that I am sure you would enjoy.

But specifically on page 10, she lists 15 restaurants that are open at 8:30 pm. The range is very economical, Casa Mingo, to rather expensive, La Trainera. She describes in more detail the latter as "moderately priced fine dining." I would copy and paste the list, but there may be copyright issues that I want to respect.

Oops, then you list Sunday, La Trainera and others on early dining list are closed.

Consider a American style Sunday brunch. She lists three, but none are near your hotel.

How about an elegant afternoon tea? Consider the Rotunda at the Westin Palace although it will set you back about $50/person a poster reported reported. Or El Jardin in the Ritz. Maribel says it's 24E/person for their special Ritz paella. Begins serving it at 4:30 pm. Both of these are near your hotel, I believe.

All that info from Maribel. It's fun to read!

Let us know the details of how you solve your problem and buen viaje to both of you.