We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
279 reviews
Save Topic
Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

My family and I have reservations at the Grotto Bay Beach Resort for about $150 a night over Thanksgiving, but I recently saw the Fairmont Southampton is running a special where I can get the same rate there. Does anyone have any strong feelings on which one is better, particularly given we'll be there in late November when it's colder. Does either one do better with things like having an outdoor heated pool? I've read mixed reviews on the Fairmont on tripadvisor. Sounds like it's supposed to be high end luxury, and it is generally a bit more expensive, but it falls a little short of a lot of people's high expectations. Also they won't allow you to cancel your reservations there for this particular special, so I'm a little hesitant to switch our reservations until I'm sure. thanks for any info or recommendations anyone might have!

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

I am wondering how you got GB for $150 per night. The cheapest advertised price from GB by their website is $206 per room double or single occupancy.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

it was a special they were offering or Orbitz about a month ago. (but not on their own website.) they also had a nice special where if you upgraded to a better ocean front room for an extra $12 a night, they'd give you a $50 food credit in their restaurants. it was really a good deal, but this Fairmont Southampton deal seems too good to pass up.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

Can we have a little more info; such as what you plan to spend your time doing on the island, how many are you traveling with, and what's the age range? For those prices I don't think you'd be dissapointed whichever you ended up staying at.

Charlottesville
Level Contributor
336 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

sure, it'll be my parents who are in their 60s and my sister and me, both in our 30s. i think we'll spend some time on the beach (even if it's too cold to swim) and definitely enjoy exploring the island by bus, moped and on foot. we'd also like to spend some time in hamilton, particuraly for the restaurants. my sister and i will also like to hit the bars one or two nights, so walking distance would be a plus, though not a deal breaker if we have to take a cab.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

By Beach, I think you would want Horseshoe Bay (pink) and long walk, and not the tiny one at Grotto Bay. It is a bit of a walk from the main road down the hill to the beach. Often there is a bloke in a minivan charging $1 each way for the ride. Downhill not too much of a problem, but after a walk etc and maybe a coffee down there, your parents will want the ride back. I'd hazard a guess that both locations are about the same time to get to Hamilton by bus. Just more routes go by GB than FS (#7)

6. Re: Grotto Bay Beach Resort vs. Fairmont Southampton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2011, 09:07
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Parish