We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grotto Bay Hotel

berkshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Grotto Bay Hotel

I have read that some of the rooms at Grotto Bay have been refurbished does anyone know if it is the deluxe or superior rooms? I am assuming a deluxe room is a grade above a superior room although the prices for these seem to vary depending on which company you book through. Any advice on this hotel would be useful. Planning a trip at Easter. I have free tickets to Bermuda and have been offered a good price at this hotel. Travelling with two children aged 10 and 13 who are very well travelled but haven't been to Bermuda before. My husband and I have been before pre children. Any suggestions welcome. I understand the weather should be mid 60s to 70s sunny with showers so I am guessing ok to rockpool but probably not swim in the sea?

Mentioned in this post
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort...
2,836 Reviews
Bermuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Rosewood Bermuda
Rosewood Bermuda
#1 of 2 hotels in Hamilton Parish
#2 of 2 hotels in Hamilton Parish
Royal Palms Hotel
Royal Palms Hotel
#1 of 3 hotels in Hamilton
baltimore
Level Contributor
736 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

Have not been to Grotto Bay- but wait a few hours- 2 people very knowledgeable- will reply.

I do know a bit chilly- Water wise- but can still swim(I have- wife no). Also, bring water shoes and a mask- good snorkeling. I even have a shorty wet suit. $40.00- ish dollars.(BUT takes up a lot of space).

Mentioned in this post
2,836 Reviews
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

To the best of my knowledge, ALL of the rooms at GROTTO BAY BEACH RESORT had had undergone renovation as of a couple/three years ago.

You can't judge room quality by the rates that third-party booking agencies charge. To my eye, there isn't all that much difference in either room size or amenities between 'deluxe' and 'superior' room categories...and may have more to do with relative location.

Inso far as '..location..' is concerned, if there is one that you probably want to avoid at GBBRm it will be the guest room buildings ('..lodges..' at GBBR) that at at designated at '..OCEAN FRONT..and closest to the Causeway (the roadway across to the airport.) The Causeway is the major east-west artery in Bermuda and can be noisy (screams of high pitched motorcycle and motorscooter exhausts). The two closest '..lodges..' will be SAINT DAVID'S LODGE and SOUTHAMPTON LODGE. In addition to being closest to the Causeway, the orientation of these buildings gives them a better '..view..' of the airport and the Causeway than anything else.

For getting about with children, there are four(4) main bus routes (#1, #3, #10 & #11-Hamilton-Saint George's) and two(2) sub-routes (#1 & #3--Hamilton-Grotto Bay) that either make regular stops at the bus shelters at the end of GBBR's short entrance drive...or terminate right at GBBR...so getting about Bermuda from GBBR via public transportation will be more convenient.

Mentioned in this post
2,836 Reviews
Bermuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Hamilton
Hamilton
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

You should also bear in mind, that '..OCEAN FRONT..' category lodges/rooms really aren't exactly '..ocean front..' in the sense that most people think. They may be closest to the water...but that's about it.

For the best '..ocean views..', the OCEAN VIEW '.lodges..' (closest to the main bldg-to-farthest) 'Warwick Lodge', Sandy's Lodge', 'Somerset Lodge' and 'Paget' (at the top of the hillside) will provide you with the best, north shore, ocean views from their patios or balconie. The OCEAN VIEW category, 'Smith's Lodge', down at the bottom of the hill (in the 'middle' of the property), will be closest to swimming pool, beach and caves.

berkshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

Thank you for info that's great. As you seem to be rather an expert on Bermuda could you advise me on one other thing? For another £300 a week I can get the Fairmont Southampton. I have stayed in a few Fairmonts in Singapore etc and they have always been nice but I have read that Southampton isn't as accessible etc with bus routes? Also I thought the children would enjoy the caves at Grotto Bay and I have found that sometimes Fairmont/Ritz Carlton/Four Seasons can be a bit stuffy and we want somewhere we can relax for a week. Any thoughts or alternative suggestions gratefully received!

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Fairmont Southampton
Fairmont Southampton
4,275 Reviews
Bermuda
2,836 Reviews
Bermuda
USA
Level Contributor
29,201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

Our own preference would be for the Fairmont Southampton Hotel over Grotto Bay Beach Resort...but then we've a different set of priorities than yours. On the occasion that we stayed at GBBR, we were part of an extended-family group (grandparents, children, grandchildren, aunts, uncles, etc). For this set of mixed priorities, GBBR fit the bill quite nicely...particulary for the parents with young children (4 & 6 yrs).

From the standpoint of visiting Bermuda with children GBBR probably serves this purpose best. They do have a Children's menu, in addition to the regular menus in the dining rooms. As you've noted, they also have '..scary caves..' (our young nieces' description), The swimming pool is heated and kids to seem to enjoy the 'fish feeding' (schools of small fish) area down next to the beach, whether from the small deck or wading about in the shallow water.

A short stroll away (a couple/few hundred yards) is the little BAILEY'S ICE CREAM shop for a small '..excursion..'. If you were inclined to '..take a hike..' you could walk to the larger CRYSTAL & FANTASY CAVES attractions.

There is also a small convenience market--BLEVIN'S--within walking distance (700-800 yards) where you can pick up beverages, snacks, etc, to stock the mini-fridge in your room.

All of the rooms at GBBR have either balconies or patios. In making a room request, I'm inclined to suggest that you ask for a room on the ground floor, so that there is access from your room's pation, directly out onto the lawns.

Mentioned in this post
Fairmont Southampton
Fairmont Southampton
4,275 Reviews
Bermuda
2,836 Reviews
Bermuda
Bermuda
Bermuda
Caribbean
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
380 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

Grotto Bay is situated very close to the bus route - so traveling around is both easy and efficient. It is a middle of the road (not luxe) well managed attractive property, has a lovely setting, with small quiet beach on Castle Harbour, (not ocean front) The property offers a nice pool, shuffle board & green areas and facinating caves - your kids will no doubt want to experience a "cave swim"! This would be a good spot for a family trip.

Mentioned in this post
2,836 Reviews
Bermuda
berkshire
Level Contributor
44 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

Thanks everyone for fantastic advice and ideas for things to do with children. Looking forward to our break next month.

8. Re: Grotto Bay Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2013, 10:21
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Parish