We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkle Beach Reviews

CT
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkle Beach Reviews

Reviews for Snorkle Beach at the Dockyard are not that great. Lots of glass in the sand, water. Small man-made beach. Lots of trash dumped on one side.

Anyone been there recently and what are your thoughts on it? Taking a cruise in July!

USA
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkle Beach Reviews

Frankly, I've never thought much of the SNORKLE PARK '..attraction..' (I rate it a notch or so above the Devil's Hole Aquarium attraction...and that's right at the bottom of our list)...except that it might fulfill the wants/needs of those who just wanted to '..try out..' snorkeling within a relatively 'controlled' enviornment--the '..snorkel trail..'....and as a convenient beach site for parents of small children off of cruise ships. Some family and friends had cruised to Bermuda and found the site convenient and relatively safe ...if nothing else...for their young children. The adults (several of whom have visited Bermuda before without children) wished that they were at a '..real..' Bermuda beach...but kids and their demands tend to 'drive' an itinerary. In the absence of children, they wouldn't have been aboard a cruise ship in Bermuda to begin with.

Insofar as snorkeling is concerned, since there is only one cruise ship scheduled to stop at Saint George's, one day per week (Tuesday...and even then the ship by-passed its Saint George's port call about 1/3 of its visits last season)...there are few 'herds' on the tiny east-end beaches; the lovely little, well sheltered, relatively shallow TOBACCO BAY, out on the back side of Saint George's is an infinitely better choice for complete novices, un-confident swimmer. or anxious parents with young children.

At present, the new operators of the Snorkel Park attraction are trying to turn it into an alternative entertainment/ '..night life..' destination for younger cruise ship passengers with '..beach parties..' and other 'events' at Hamerhead's Bar & Grill as the attraction...and I suppose given the size and mixed demographic of the cruise ship numbers, there is some relative merit to the idea.

SNORKEL PARK--

http://www.snorkelparkbeach.com/

We did stop out a couple of years ago and the site did appear a bit '..messy..' as you described...littered. There had been some sort of 'event' there the evening before and it was a day after two large cruise ships sailed and it could've been simply that they were slow getting 'round to cleaning up after the 'herd' migrated onward. The last time we stopped out there was last August, after tropical storm COLIN's passed Bermuda. The site appeared '..messy..' again but we weren't sure whether this was due to the after-effects of high winds blowing over trash containers or the general state of the place...and hardly a time for objective evaluation.

Insofar as the entry/admission charge, I'm not entirely sure how this works. When the site originally openned, entry and use of the beach was free. People paid for the rental of the equipment and 'water toys'. After a year or so of operation, they began charging a $5 general admission charge for the use the site...but then that charge was removed. I was informed at the time that part of the condition of the lease on the property was that admission was to be free and open to the general public. I'm now assuming that I was either misinformed...or that the terms of the lease have altered since then. The property/operation has changed hands at least three times (Bermuda Island Cruises, Windjammer Watersports, Belcario Thomas & partners, ??)

Edited: 20 May 2011, 19:58
baltimore
Level Contributor
633 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkle Beach Reviews

Snorkle Park Blows ! Worth the time/effort to Tobacco Bay

CT
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkle Beach Reviews

Thanks!

This will be our 4th Bermuda cruise and we never visited Snorkle Park yet., but I've been curious about it. We'll stick to the other beaches and not waste our time!

USA
Level Contributor
27,556 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkle Beach Reviews

Though we've never thought all that much of this '..attraction..'...it does serve a valid purpose (in fact is '..gear to..') for a particular market/clientelle--cruise passengers who don't want to venture too far afield from their ships and parents of younger children who don't want to '..load up..' as if '..on safari..'.

The Snorkel Park attraction is located just across the Dockyard compex (perhaps 50-75 yards) from the landward-end of the King's/Heritage Wharf cruise ship pier. The water here is dead/flat/calm with barely any swell (and most of that 'wake' generated by passing tour boats)...and the water at the beach deepens very gradually. There are also 'water toys' here for kids...plus, there are likely to be '..other people's children..' here...so odds are, one's own children may not be the worst behaved. There are bathrooms on-site and the ships are only a short stroll away. Snorkel Park's greatest '..attraction..' is its proximity and '..convenience..'....which is is not to be despised by parents with young children in tow.

Princeton, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkle Beach Reviews

Went there last year, not one of the most attractive areas of Bermuda, the day we went not much to look at snorkeling either. Stuff for kids to do and don't buy soft drinks or ice cream, they rob you.

6. Re: Snorkle Beach Reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:15