We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

HI

Anyone going to stay for Christmas and New Year???

We are flying with first Choice from Manchester, going for 2 weeks.. anyone going with a teenager?? We have a 13 year old son.

three weeks to go and counting, fingers crossed it opens on time

manchester
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Hi

We were supposed to going to the Iberostar for 3 weeks on the 10th December flying with Thomas Cooke from Manchester.

Three weeks ago we received a letter stating we would be going to the Sol cayo Guillermo and there was NO explanation as to why.

We have visited the Iberostar three times previously and last year we spent three weeks there during the Christmas/new year period so we know what to expect. The kids adore the place and we manage to get a well earned rest. There was No way we were going to accept the sol because we had visited it before and really didn't like it. Thomas Cooke were not the most helpful of companies and we found out that if we were to stay at the Sol it would be much cheaper to stay there than what we had paid. They did not even tell us this! At first, i didn't let them know that I knew this and mentioned that we should be offered an upgrade because of their dreadful service but they said we'd have to pay any extra! Then, when i let them know I knew it was much cheaper than what we'd paid [we booked in may] they said it was a late deal price and we didn't qualify! Needless to say i got my money back [after numerous phone calls to incompetent staff] and we are now off to Goa.

I am now hearing reports that the Iberostar WILL be opening mid december which i will be really annoyed about. i'd be really interested if this is the case.

If you do manage to go, you will have a wonderful time Give my love to Radia [mention Tracy, James, francesca and Stuart Little!].

sorry to ramble but i am just letting you what has happened. it would be a shame if you found out at last minute. Give your travel company a call for a definate decision.

have a lovely christmas

xx

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Thanks casder for the info,

sorry your plans were ruined, I am having no luck finding anything out and I am abit worried i must say. The hotel is due to open on the 16th of december but i have e-miled twice and not had a reply and also tried direct to the Iberostar chain who responed but advised to contact first choice. We have asked our travel agent to try to find out something for us and they will let us know more .

The daiquiri should have opened in november so if it is delayed again who knows?? but I doubt there will be an alernative available at Christmas time. fingers crossed all will go well. Sounds like if we go we will have a good time though and I will send your regards to your friends for you.Have you made other plans or are you at home for Xmas??

regards

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Toady

While it was slightly different circumstances I thought I should comment on a previous experience we had with First Choice cancelling our holiday at very short notice.

We were due to travel to Mexico in July 05. I learned 4 days prior to our due date of travel of a hurricane heading for the area in which we were due to stay. Having learned from this site that the hurricane did in fact hit that precise area, the next day I contacted my travel agent and was told that everything was fine and we would be travelling as planned. Becoming increasingly concerned, I telephoned First Choice directly on the day before departure and was told that there was to be an emergency meeting later that day and I should call back. When I subsequently called back around 5 pm I was told that our holiday had been cancelled and that I should contact my travel agent to book an alternative.

After spending 2 hours at the travel agents I eventually managed to find a suitable holiday in Gran Canaria (I know - nothing like the caribbean that we had been looking forward to for over a year!). It was only after I had been at the travel agents for about an hour that they received the call from First Choice explaining about the cancellation.

While I don't want to alarm you unnecessarily, I would do everything you can on a personal level to gain information and not rely on your travel agent doing it for you. From my own experience, First Choice are not the speediest in passing on up-to-date information.

That said, we travelled with First Choice to the DR last year and found them to be excellent.

Hope you get the holiday you've looked forward to.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Hi chaseview

Thanks for your reply and you are giving sound advice but in your case you really had a lucky escape not being forced to go to mexico like we were.

I know abit about hurricanes and mexico and believe me it was best that first choice did cancel and you were not put in Danger, as dissapointed as you would have been.

Last October thomsons flew us out knowing hurricane wilma was on its way to the yucatan area of mexico and we had one day of our holiday spent worrying about our safety and being lied to. Thomson said that we were being moved to an hotel that could with-stand a catagory 4 huuricane. Instead we were on a coach from 10,o clock in the morning while the weather was getting worse by the minute and bused around till 5,oclock when they finally got us to a school in a poor area near cancun, they had taken us right into the path of the hurricane and we spent 5 days and 4 night on the floor of a school with little to eat and no power after the first night and appaulling sanitation. I could go on about the fear etc but you get the picture.

We lost alot of money and were later put at risk during evacuation by thomson and took 12 hours ( they had said it would take 4 hours)on a coach through flooded roads to a small air port in mexico. to be taken to the D R were they said we could rest and be flown home in the next day or two another lie we had 4 hours to refresh ourselves etc but all our belonging were saturated with the flood water that got into the hold.and to eat having been starved and having had little water on the journey to Merida . We had rehydration fluid given to us. We were then flown home

I have found out that the daiquiri is supposed to open as planned on the 16th and all is well, but i know what you mean about trusting it to ourselves to find all we can and i have done all I can, fingers crossed it goes well We went to cuba last Christmas to recover from our ordeal and really it was the tonic we needed, hope we go as planned.

regards

manchester
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Hi [again]

I have just telephoned the Daiquiri myself and have been told they are opening on the 15th....which is good news for you but i am absolutely fuming.

Phoned Thomas Cook but it's like getting blood out of a stone and the staff....I daren't even print what I'd like to say.

Anyway we are off to Goa on friday for three weeks but still can't help feeling really angry about the amount of agro we've been put through. I am definitely reporting them.

You and your family will have a great time at the Iberostar. You won't meet such a friendlier group of people.

Daren't tell my 9 and 10 year old that it's opening....they were devastated when i said we couldn't go. They'd were looking forward to it all year.

Have a great time and watch those cocktails.....

Oh, before I forget take sunscreen, medicines etc....you can't really get it there and if you get them from the doctor [who is really lovely] it'll cost a lot. It cost me 50 pounds for her to give me some cream [£2here] and some antihistamine which I'd forgotten.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

I bet you are really upset to have had your plans changed and i wonder why thomas Cook did not offer you just the 2 week holiday from the 17th cos they still have places on that flight??

my daughter went back packing and went to goa and she really liked it . hope you have a great holiday and thanks for letting me know that they are opening on time. Just been filling in the visa and really think i should just look forwards now. best wishes

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

casder i forgot to ask if the iberostar has cola light for mixers and do they have branded whisky etc also do they have ice cream for the kids/?? i have plenty of suncream with mozzie repellent, did you have problems with bites at xmas time last year, they were a real problem last year in holguin at the playa costa verde but we still had a great holiday. hope you get chance to answer thanks toady

manchester
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Hi Toady

Yes, there's icecream for the kids but only at lunch etc. Not sure about the whisky etc.

Bites not really a problem. Take some hydrocortisone cream from the chemist and an antihistamine to bring itching etc down just in case. Just ordered some Avon skin so soft from Avon online. The mossies are supposed to hate it [just hope i don't].

Yes, I think it's odd we weren't offered an alternative date. Not very forward thinking of the staff at a certain travel company.

Anyway ,roll on Goa.

Have a great time at Christmas.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,397 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Hi casder,

thanks again, I have got the avon skin so soft which has been recommended and tons of insect repellant and a plug in. They were really bad last year and love me. Did you request any special room when you went before and do they usually reply to e-mails at the daiquiri?? I still have had no reply and if you managed to phone there must be staff there. Sorry for all the questions and just one more what was the weather like? we had great weather in holguin with the odd showers at night and just one tropical down pour late afternoon one day. came back with a lovely tan.

happy hols to you and your family,

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
291 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: iberostar daiquiri Anyone there for Christmas??

Hi Toady

Glad to hear it's good news. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. I'll be thinking of you as we're sitting here in the cold. It's a pity we're not there at the same time as we've got 13 & 11 yr old boys.

I'll look forward to hearing how you've got on.

Best wishes