We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

3 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

Hi, I am going to Bali next week and I arrive around 9pm. My accommodation is 800m away from the airport(about 7 minutes' walk) but I don't think it's on the main road, so possibly won't find it at once. I will be alone for that night until I catch up with my friend the next day. Would it be ok for me to walk to my accommodation?

Edited: 22 January 2017, 06:40
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

In that area I'd take a cab and it'll cost you about $1.

Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,205 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

Welcome to the forum....Ive never had a problem walking alone .....your alternative might be to arrange a transfer with your accom or walk up to departures and catch a taxi....I never walk down laneways at night but in main areas never had an issue apart from taxi drivers constantly wanting me to use them...always be vigilant though...enjoy your holiday

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

To catch a cab for $1 you need to

a. walk to the departure area (upstairs easy to reach but you need to be traveling light, get a cab, hop in, no time to put luggage in the trunk chop chop. before the security show up and stop you)

b. walk outside the airport which you might just walk a little bit further to your hotel

Good luck getting an official ripoff airport taxi for $1

you can try to ask if the hotel provide free shuttle or download offline google maps to your phone and prepare to walk

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
357 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

Have you been to Bali before? Arriving for the first time can be a bit of a shock to the senses. The airport is packed and hectic and confusing and trying to find your way and looking lost/like a novice isn't great. Organise transport. Most hotels offer this. The taxi counter at the airport can also set you up with a safe taxi. Do not walk. Not worth the $5-10 you would be saving.

I would not walk around alone in dark places, alley ways and anywhere I am not familiar with and I have lived in Indonesia and speak the language. By all means in well lit tourist areas it's safe enough.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,141 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

You accommodation may well be just 800 m from the airport, but it's a lot further than that from the exit from the terminal.

I'm guessing you are staying in Tuban somewhere which is about 5 minutes from the airport by cab, but it would be a very long walk involving crossing some really busy roads on foot. Don't attempt it.

Check with your accommodation. A lot ofthe Tuban hotels offer free airport pick up.

Mentioned in this post
Tuban
Tuban
Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
347 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

Your flight is scheduled to arrive at 9.00pm,it could be delayed, then you have to clear immigration,customs, possibly luggage collection. You could possibly be wandering the streets as late as 10pm. Don't make yourself a target. The last two posts offer sensible information.

3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?

Thanks, everyone, I decided to change my accommodation to an actual hotel that is on the main road and does airport transfer.

Reply to: Is it safe for ladies to walk alone at night?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tuban