We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ads for package deals to Bali

Western Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
ads for package deals to Bali

Looking at booking my next trip to Bali with the family.

Previously I just booked the flights online, but I notice that the papers have such cheap package deals - and for some, the 4 star hotels!! How does that work? Does anyone know if there's a catch to going down this path?

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

heya le corb...i havent actually left on my holiday yet, but i booked mine through a package deal. I went to all of the travel agencys in town and got quotes off them for the same time away, same hotel etc and they made me a package that was with airfares, accomodation and transfers to/from hotel for about $600-$700 less than paying for airfares (with same airline as agencies quoted but me booking via internet) and accomodation (again the same as the agencies quoted) with no transfers!!

I can definately recommend exploring all options when it comes to package deals...even with the great prices i got for mine i still managed to get them to make it cheaper to beat their competition :)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

Package deals can either be very cheap or very expensive.

It depends on the deals that the travel wholesalers can offer their Travel Agents.

If it does work out cheap, grab it, you can't go wrong.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

Thanks guys, will definately look into it!

perth
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

Just be careful with the package deals. They often advertise without including taxes which will add a couple of hundred $ onto each fare. Also with the 4 star hotels you usually get the dodgy hotel block rooms not one of the nicer rooms. But worth a try.

We usually book our own flights and contact the hotel directly for the booking, cut out the middle man/woman!

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

You're on the right site to ask this. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean good (neither does expensive). You want to look on TA at what people say about the hotels. I look at the overall rating and then look at the bad write ups. The bad write ups are done by people who were unhappy about something and I look to see if there deal breakers are mine. I then look at the good write ups.

The taxes are an add on as well.

I've done both, but frequently I will make my own arrangements because I'm a frequent flier and can use the FFMiles for the trip.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

Thanks goodspkr, I can see what you mean about the good/bad reviews, since I'm not that fussy about hotel rooms, but some of the reviews would be frightening to anyone!

Andreaperth, that's a good point about the hotel having cheaper rooms for packages, I'm not sure how to get around that one, might come back to TA once the travel agent makes a recommendation..

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,935 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

most package deals offer the 'cheaper' or standard rooms. cheaper does not always mean they are not good as i have stayed in hotels where the 'cheaper' rooms have been excellent value. if you do book a package deal and after some research prefer a 'deluxe' room for example get a quote. often it is not much more.

i usually book my own flights and accommodation but the packages can occasionally be very good deals. even if you book one and then extend your stay you can book the rest of your accommodation yourself. i have done this b4. take say airfare + the accom deal then stayed on for an extra couple of weeks. the package deals can be cheaper because you get what is called a 'land credit' or some such thing.

you can even try changing the hotels on offer in a 'package deal' with a hotel you prefer. the agent just asks the wholesaler for a price as often there are more hotels on offer than what they advertise.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
48 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

Thanks Snooky, with everyone booking on the internet now, the travel agents will need to be more competitive I suppose.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

Yes, do a little homework, I discovered last year when organising for some family that a well known TA was quoting twin share for rooms making the room cost twice what it could be had for through an internet booking site. Many people who don't often travel through Asia do not realise room costs are per room for 2 people. Most internet booking sites bundle the cost to include 2 people per room including taxes and 2 breakfasts. Some TAs add on breakfast costs and taxes as already mentioned. The same goes for the rates through the hotel's internet site. Occasionally it all ends up much the same so having the TA do the work is a bonus as they are often in a better position to request specific rooms or throw in airport pickup.

10. Re: ads for package deals to Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 04:16