We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Hi all!

Me and my wife are planning to go to Croatia this September/October (I think this is a good time to go) for our honeymoon. We will be flying from Los Angeles and will have 14 to 15 days maximum. I've lived in London for a couple years when I was young but my wife has never been to Europe, needless to say she's super excited about the trip!

There's a list of MUST-SEE's that we have on our list but given that we only have 2 weeks I'm looking for some suggestions. We're in our early 30's and we love both nature and the city. What we don't want to do is feel too rushed throughout the trip trying to visit too many places in a short period of time. We will have a car throughout the trip. Here's the list of the places that we want to visit:

Plitvice lakes

Hvar

Korcula

Pula, Istria

Rovinj

Trogir

Split

Skocjan cave, Slovenia

Bled Lake, Slovenia

Ljubljana, Slovenia

I'm planning to fly in from Los Angeles to Dubrovnik and fly out from Ljubljana to Los Angeles.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Eric

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
216 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

First things first - if you want to avoid the crowds your choice of time is good. Most Europeans (including the locals) have no vacations around that time (August being super busy, expensive high-season). But in October there is a chance of "weaker" weather... Middle of September should be your best option.

Regarding your list you already have a lot on it (and I hope not in that order as it at points would mean going back-and-forth). So I am not sure if your choice needs additions or rather alternatives? I.e. being in Rovinj you easily could do a day trip to Motovun. Spectacular site on a hill plus truffles season starts there around that time...

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
43,650 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Are all of those must see places? Thats quite a bit of territory to cover in two weeks. I just don't know if you can do all of those places justice in the limited time that you have. Personally, if flying into Dubrovnik, I would skip the Istrian part of your trip (save it for next time!!) and go from Dubrovnik, to Korcula to Hvar to Split to Trogir to Zadar to Plitvice to Zagreb and finally to Ljubljana. Not sure that you would need to stay in Split and Trogir though. I suppose you could feasibly squeeze everything in, but to me it would be too rushed and its your honeymoon and try not to run around too much!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Why don't you do different version fly to Ljubljana and return from Dubrovnik. Slovenian part you can do in 2 days on public transportation and come in Rovinj, rent a car and go zig-zag around until you reach Dubrovnik.

That will give you much sweeter taste of trip and you will have the best for the end. Otherwise, everything after Dubrovnik, Hvar and Split will be very insignificant. Get some tension in the trip!

Ljubljana is nothing special - city like every middle European city. Don't waste much of time there - 2-3 hours just to get a taste and move on. Go to Bled and spend night there. Next day, go to Skocjan Caves and head for the night in Rovinj.

After initial morning in Rovinj, rent a car and drive through Istria and reach Pula.

From Pula, go to Plitvice lakes and back to Zadar and along the coast as it lines up city by city, island by island.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Thank you very much for all the inputs!

Tvrtko, if we go with your suggestion! How would you lay out the overall plan?

Day 1 Ljubljana (night in Bled)

Day 2 Skocjan Caves (drive to Croatia for the night? How long would that take?)

Thanks very much!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Go to viamichelin.com for a driving times.

I would wait to get in Croatia to get rental car. It makes rest of the trip less stressful.

Boston
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

We have a similar trip coming up but we are taking a ferry from venice to rovinj and would really like to visit skocjan caves from rovinj. We decided not to go via Trieste (closer to the caves) in order to save time for more key areas of the croatian coastline. (also arriving by boat to croatia was far more interesting than train or driving)

The reason why we want to use rovinj as base is for seeing key areas of istria and then take ferry to split and dubrov. Would you suggest a day trip from rovinj to the caves? Renting a car just for the caves?

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,240 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

You are going to love Rovinj and you are right, seeing it by boat from Venice is magical. How long will you be staying in Rovinj? If you are there for more than a few days I really recommend renting a car not only to see the caves but the interior hilltowns, ruins of Dvigrad, Pula, etc.

The caves are very good and worth your while, especially if you are really into that kind of thing. It would make a nice daytrip (renting a car).

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
46 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

Best make Ljubljana as you starting point, after SLO trip go to Rovinj 1-2 nights, then move to Pula 1 night, do Plitvice lake and go to Trogir 1 night and do Split as an afternoon trip, it is only cca 30 min from Trogir, leave you car in Split and board the ferry http://www.krilo.hr/en/index.html to Hvar 1-3 nights your choice, do the day boat trips to Paklinski islands (Sv. Klement, Palmižana..) with the same ferry you can get from Hvar to Korčula, you could of gone to Dubrovnik direct from Korčula by ferry but i think they dont do that line in that period when you will be there, so you will have to get back to Split and go by car to Dubrovnik but check first on the net.

What about Krka falls, Brioni islands, little towns in Istria like Hum, Motovun... as an afternoon trips maybe, you have the time to slip it in.

These are not great distances like in the States, and you will have no problem of getting accommodation in that period of time.

Have fun.

9. Re: 1st time to Croatia from Los Angeles, Itinerary Help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2013, 05:15