We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary suggestion

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
itinerary suggestion

First question: Why are people in these forums so awesome?? :)

It is wonderful to read many helpful answers.

My Second question:

We are arriving in Zagreb late August and planning to hire a car and drive to Istria region, perhaps Ravinj for a few days and then drive down to Split and Dubrovnik (fly back to Zagreb), need your opinion if 10 days enough to do all three cities (Ravinj, Split Dubrovnik) and the two regions??

Our initial plan was to drive from Zagreb to Zadar then Split and Dubrovnik, but the more I read about Istria region the more I want to include it in our itinerary.

Also, is late August early September still "high season", should I be panicking and start looking for apartments in those cities?

Thanks a bunch!

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
46,267 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary suggestion

I think you should start to look for apartments soon as late August will still be pretty busy. To me ten days for all of those is doable but it would be quite hectic and lots of driving between Rovinj and Split. I would either spend the time in Istria or the Split-Dubrovnik area and not both, but others might advise otherwise.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: itinerary suggestion

>>Why are people in these forums so awesome?? :)<<

Because we are talking about Croatia and everyone is in love with the country and people, and food, and....

Last week of August will be busy traffic in Croatia. Many Europeans trying to get back home for their kid's schools. Saturdays and Sundays are specially nightmares. So, if you can avoid driving on those 2 days, you will be fine.

Personally, I don't find Rovinj specially exciting. Lot of people in small place. If that's your kind of fun vacations, fine with me. Let you have it.

I would rather try to find some smaller place to visit Istria - Vodnjan, Novigrad, Fazana...you name it. Try to book some "sobe" (rooms to rent) usually small apartment - like studio apartment. It's surpassingly good enough. Because you are not going to spend much time in it. Plus, you meet local people, who are very friendly, you might get free coffee in the morning with family, occasionally maybe shot of grappa or their own wine or olive oil. People are proud for what they do out of tourist season. Some of the friendships made at that way continue for life.

If you like "faceless" vacation, go for hotel.

There will not be time for beach sunbathing if you want to make all of above. Get rental car, prepare yourself with good map, get all of the phone numbers, restaurants, historic and artistic things you want to see and start looking around. Quick "Istria review" can be done in 2-3 days.

Than sit in the car and drive most of your day down to Split. You still have time to stop in some places for breakfast, lunch, dinner and few other things along the way. When you are passing to some small towns and villages along the coast, stop for incredible ice cream and great espresso. That's what we do.

When in Split, do the same - visit Trogir, maybe Klis, you might have time to get to island Brac, also. It's very short car-ferry to there and see where stones for White House came from! If you get some PROSEK wine in Brac, don't drink and drive. It's very tasteful and strong. Even you are not going to Hvar island, you can still get some REAL lavender oil from there. One small bottle and your home will smell entire next year on lavender.

2-3 days will be busy. But, doable.

Then drive to Dubrovnik along that famous Adriatic highway and stop as many times you like - Omis, Makarska, Ston, just to name a few towns worth seeing.

It can be done. It's not real vacation. It's more like road trip with a lot and lot things to do and see.

Have fun!

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,750 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: itinerary suggestion

I agree entirely with Barry. August is High Season and wherever you go on the coast will be extremely busy. You need to look into apartments soonest. Please bear in mind that many apartments do not let for just a few days at this time of year. You could do the trip in 10 days but I personally would not find it enjoyable. I agree that you would be better spending your time in either Istria or Dalmatia. There is so much to do and see in both areas without the constant travelling. If necessary you could decide on 2 places to stay in Istria if you so wished and the same for Dalmatia i.e. Split and Dubrovnik. I personally would spend time in Rovinj whilst in Istria. Yes it will be crowded but so is everywhere at that time of year and old town (stari grad) Rovinj is a gem and so easy to get to Pula (around half an hour by car), or Porec or the island of Brijuni National Park (the residence of President Tito during his life) and not to mention the wonderful walled hill towns in the interior.

As has already been mentioned, if you are driving try not to drive at weekends. The traffic can be horrendous and it can take twice as long to get to your destination.

Whether you decide on the road trip or staying in one area I'm sure you will enjoy it, albeit you'll end up tired if you choose one of your options.

Szada, Pest, Hungary
Level Contributor
425 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: itinerary suggestion

If you have split your time between Istria & Dalmatia, I suggest 6-7 nights on Istria, and only 3-4 in Split. Here you can concentrate on the city, and make a 1 day excursion to Brac with the regular express boat to Bol.

5. Re: itinerary suggestion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 19:40