We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rovinj/Istria questions

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Rovinj/Istria questions

I have two days (two nights) to spend in the area of Rovinj with a rental car.

We are mainly looking for good beaches. Of course we want to see Rovinj but that's not the main thing. We also want to do a day/half day at Crveni Otok Island.

While looking at accommodation at Rovinj I noticed the prices are quite high (we are a young couple with no children looking for 22nd-24th of August). But we are with a car so I thought of maybe staying further away and paying for parking near the beaches.

My question is, what is best of out of this options:

1) Getting a more expensive place at the center of Rovinj and walking to the beach (is there a good beach close enough to walk)?

2) Staying on the outskirts of Rovinj and then paying for parking at Rovkinj/near-by beaches?

3) Staying in another place such as Varsr (I understand there are good beaches there) and driving one day for the trip to Crveni Otok?

If I could summarize my question: Is it necessary to stay in the center of Rovinj to get to the good beaches or can we stay further because we have a car?

Sorry for the confusion..

Thanks in advance!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

As I keep reading I think maybe I am to "tied" to Rovinj and I should look for a place elsewhere and just do one day in Rovinj and pay for the parking - walk through the town center and then half-day to Crveni Otok.

Where do you suggest staying? Varsr? Fazana?

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
216 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

If you are mainly interested in the beaches, then make Rovinj a day-tour (although in August it might be quite hot for walking around during the day). As you wrote - the better beaches are elsewhere.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

I see.

But where should I stay then?

I was thinking of Vrsar as it has a good beach and is close enough to Rovinj.. am I correct? Maybe Funtana as well?

I am kind of lost in all of these coastal towns.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,744 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

Try Umag...

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

Out of these 3 options: If we want to be close to good beaches, what is the best option?

1. Vrsar

2. Umag

3. Porec

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
241 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

My favourite is Fažana.... You can make a day trip to Rovinj (50 km) or Pula (6 km), and just accross is National Park Brijuni islands.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
216 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

I would agree with Zrinka. Check out Fažana.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

I have only 2 options at the moment: Fazana and Vrsar.

So defiantly Fazana? I'm asking because Vrsar is closer to Rovinj...

Rovinj, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Rovinj, Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
939 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

Go to Vrsar, it is perfect for your access to Rovinj.

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rovinj/Istria questions

I would also go to Vrsar (much as I like Fazana) and as TowerofFlour says ideal for Rovinj. If you are looking for somewhere to stay have a look at hotel Vista, situated and hidden away in the old town - www.hotelvista.hr

We haven't stayed there but discovered it by accident when we were walking in the old town and came upon a most beautiful hidden garden with superb views. We were so impressed we tried to find the entrance (which we'd already passed earlier) to get some details. Charming and helpful receptionist. One thing you need to know is that they don't serve dinners, only breakfast. Anyway, worth a look.