We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort in Istria?

Ipswich
Level Contributor
545 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort in Istria?

Have already tried Dubrovnik and am thinking about the Istrian Riviera.

We like scenery, nice food and atmosphere. Not too bothered about beaches/watersports, but we like boat trips.

A couple of people have recommended Rovinj and someone else Opatija.

Would need to fly from a London airport (Pula presumably?) but flights and package holidays seem to be very expensive for next year.

Any recommendations would be welcomed.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort in Istria?

Rovinj definitely. Opatija is ok but not nearly the atmosphere and charm of Rovinj in my opinion. Istria is small so if you based in Rovinj you could do a lot in the area, such as boat trips to Porec, Vrsar and Limski Canal for example. I would recommend renting a car to see the hilltowns and such, too. Pula is a must as well as Porec. If you check out my posts you will see just how much there is to see and do! My husband and I fell in love with Istria and bought a house there so we spend as much time there as we can. It is that lovely.

At what time of the year are you considering and for how many days? You definitely do not need to do a package holiday for Istria, especially if it includes all-inclusive hotels because you would so miss out on experiencing the real authentic Istria and its food. Just my opinion but I would think it would be shared by many who have traveled a lot in Istria.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort in Istria?

If you enjoy crowd, than go to Rovinj.

3. Re: Which resort in Istria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:07
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
7,236 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort in Istria?

It certainly is true that Rovinj is crowded in July and August but far less so other times. Sure, there are always tourists there, but at least it is not jam packed. And I am not a crowd person - I try to steer away whenever I can.

Thanks again for the kind words, Kevin. Sounds as though you had a trip to remember! :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,746 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort in Istria?

I concur with everything Chef and Kevin have said. Granted Rovinj is crowded in July and August (but so is everywhere else on the coast). If you can make it any other time then Rovinj is the ideal place to stay - so easy to get to other parts of Istria and a car helps if you want to visit the lovely hill villages in the interior. We are in Rovinj every early to mid June and whilst Rovinj is busy it's nothing like High Season, and this is from someone who hates crowds. I fell in love with the place many years ago and that feeling has never changed. I think Istria has everything you are interested in e.g. scenery, food (which Istria is noted for) and atmosphere. Boat trips - to add to what Chef has listed there is Venice and you could try Brijuni Islands You can get the boat from Fazana (a lively fishing village just down the road from Rovinj). Veli Brijuni was the summer home of President Tito where he entertained celebrities and political leaders. We stay there every year.

Don't think about package holidays. The way to go is independently staying in either a hotel or an apartment. I'm sure people on this site would happily give advice e.g. Kevin mentions Casa Bela which gets good reviews. Travel: Pula is the airport for Istria. If you wish to fly from a London airport then Ryanair no frills flys from Stansted about 4 times a week. A lot has been said against Ryanair but we have flown with them from Stansted to Pula for many years and not had a problem. Jet2 are flying from Manchester and Leeds next year but probably too far away for you. I'm also with Chef on Opatija.

Ely, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Dubrovnik
Level Contributor
43,604 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort in Istria?

Agreed that everywhere along the coast is going to be crowded in July and August.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
545 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort in Istria?

Thank you all so much for your advice - sounds like Rovinj comes highly recommended! We never holiday in July /August so should be ok outside these months.

Must admit I'm not keen on Ryanair but as they are the only airline flying out of Stansted will probably end up with them.

Is Pula far from Rovinj and can you get a transfer from the airport to resort easily?

Hamar
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort in Istria?

I have not been in Opatja, only driving by, But I think it is more "charter", more only for bathing. Long time since I visited Rovinj, I was there during the war...( Not a danger zone), and l love the city. The crowd is a mix of tourists and inhabitans, at least back in time when I was there. Lovely city, but I dont know what it is like now.

But as anyware for me...I dont mind tourists as long as you also can find children playing in the streets, shops that also locals use, and so on.

9. Re: Which resort in Istria?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 17:07
10. Re: Which resort in Istria?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 27 August 2013, 10:16