We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
191 posts
173 reviews
Save Topic
Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

I will be driving from the Koper area to Rovinj. Will I be required to pay tolls along the way in Croatia? Basically I want to know if I can wait until I get to Rovinj to go to an ATM for kunas. If not is there an exchange service at the international border crossings where I can change 20 Euros or so to Kunas for the trip? Or should I prepare to stop in the nearest town after crossing to find a machine?

Thanks

Durham
Level Contributor
4,992 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

I don't think there are any Croatian toll roads on that route although pay make have to get a vignette for Slovenia. I think you can pay for Croatian toll roads in euros or by cards as well as kuna.

Rijeka
Level Contributor
1,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

in Istria there is Y shaped toll road easily dodged by using coastal or old road to Pula (via Buje,Vižinada).They do accept euros if you choose the fastest way.

Be careful in Slovenia though.It's easy to fall into sticker trap.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
191 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

Thanks! Glad to know I don't have to stress exchanging money immediately. The car I'll be driving is actually a rental that I'm picking up in Slovenia where I will spend some time before going to Croatia. The car hire company is supposed to sort out my sticker.

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
248 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

For Croatia toll roads you don't need Kuna, they accept Euro.

For Slovenija, I don't think it's worth to buy a vignette to drive from Koper to Rovinj, since the portion of road in Slovenija is very short, I would use normal roads.

Suno, Italy
Level Contributor
248 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

When you are in Rovinj, if you need Kuna, you can change them in any posto office or bank, qith much more convenient rates if compared with the border agencies.

St. Pete Beach...
Level Contributor
191 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

Thanks all! When I get to Rovinj I intend to use the ATM (I have a fee and exchange rate surchage free card) that has consistently given me the best rates everywhere in the world. I will not be carrying much cash to convert. I was only going to change 20 euros at the border if required for tolls. Plus I will arrive on the weekend when the banks and post offices would, I imagine, be closed. I will be driving around Slovenia for several days before crossing into croatia and will be returning the car to Ljubljana afterwards so I have to obtain the required Vignette for Slovenia.

7. Re: Obtaining Kuna When crossing into Istria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 10:15