We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

Hi

How do I choose between Pula, Rovinj and Porec for a 14 night holiday for my husband and me?

We enjoy beautiful scenery, "old towns", good food, sunbathing, mooching around shops etc, a bit of culture.

We don't like British pubs abroad, loud music, nightclubs, "tacky" resorts as we are in our 50s (although young at heart). Also, which location is best-placed for day trips, and to where?

Many thanks.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

What time of year? It is highly recommended you rent a car in Istria unless you are content to stay put in one spot. Also, as Istria is known for its delicious cuisine, try not to do half or full board at a hotel as the food can be mediocre (not in all situations, of course).

Rovinj is the most visually stunning. Pula is the best if you enjoy archaeology and Roman history. Poreč is sort of in the middle. It depends when you are there. It would be a huge pity to miss the sublime hilltowns of Grožnjan, Zavrsje, Hum, Bale, Motovun, Oprtalj...for which you need a car.

Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

Thanks. September/October.

How about Rabac?

Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

Oh...and Medulin?

UK
Destination Expert
for Istria, Rovinj, Pula
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

I would say definitely Not Medulin or Rabac. September/October is end of season and these are purely resort towns. I would say Rovinj, which is a stunningly beautiful town with history and has every thing you are looking for, not least because it is ideally placed to get to other great places in Istria. For the inland hill towns you would need to hire a car but you can easily get to Pula and Porec on public transport which does not take long.

Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
6,220 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

I completely agree with Danny. Rabac and Medulin are ultra resort-y and do not feel like the real Croatia I love so much IMHO. They would rank low on my list but then resorts are not my style.

6. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2013, 01:21
Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

Hi

Unfortunately, the earliest I can now go on holiday is 14/9.

I am struggling to find availability on a 14 night package holiday at a 4 star hotel in Rovinj on 14/9 (only from 17/9 or 21/9 at the Eden, Park or Lone). However, I can find availability at the Histria in Pula from 14/9. (I would rather book a package as they are cheaper and more convenient.)

I know it is better to go as early as poss in case the weather turns and things start shutting down, but will I be disappointed if I stay in Pula rather than Rovinj? The key question is: should I go a few days later to Rovinj or go earlier to Pula? Weather v location?

I think we will definitely hire a car for a few days so we can visit both places but I would hate to think I'd chosen the wrong place to stay in!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

As it is only a difference of three days, I would probably opt for Rovinj, as it is easily the most attractive and beautiful place to stay, and everywhere else is within easy reach, Pula and Porec by bus, the hill towns by car. Is not an apartment viable? They should be quite a bit cheaper than hotels at that time I would have thought.

Europe
Level Contributor
200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

I would reccommend Rovinj because it is the most beautiful with small streets, nice small restaurants. From there you can easily reach Pula, Porec and other nice places in Istria. Also there is bautiful small town Motovun what you should visit . Istria is full of nice private villas so if you are unable to find hotel accommodation maybe you should concider this option.

There are many web sites , for example the good one is www.newholidays.co.uk

Edited: 05 August 2013, 15:41
Manchester
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pula, Rovinj or Porec?

Thank you, everyone, for all your help. I have now booked my holiday to Rovinj for 21st September so fingers crossed for good weather! If not, I am sure there will be lots of beautiful places for us to visit come rain or shine.