We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Which Macot-la-Plagne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Hi - thinking of booking a ski hol here, it would be an apartment in Balcons De Belle Plagne. I have read on here it is only true ski to door if approached from the east, and therefore you need to be a decent skier. We have several beginners with us - some will go in the ski school, but others want ski to door - so could somebody who knows the place throw any light on whether its really on the blue run or you need to ski down from the red?

Thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
9 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Belle Plagne is definitly a proper ski in and out part of the Plagne complex. I skied it last year and passed through Belle Plagne a couple of times. Skiing down to the main lifts should be ok for beginners but it is a fairy steep blue run into the resort as you say from the east. I personally wouldn't have done it as a beginner. Its a busy area as well. Brilliant resort for intermediates

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Thanks - that's useful - there's a few beginners with us but most are intermediate and above - beginners can learn the hard way by walking back to the chalet ;-)

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

I stayed in a chalet in the Balcons complex in Jan 2010. It is proper ski in-ski out. On the last day someone had the door to the boot room open and I literally got the tips of my skis over the threshold!

It is a blue run out of the chalet and down to Belle Plagne. It's maybe a little steeper at the top but it's really wide. I'd probably say that complete beginners could probably manage it on their last day or so, anyone with a week or two under their belt should be fine.

On the way back there are some lovely blue runs down from the chairlift (whose name I forget), although the last 100 yards or so might be a bit more difficult for beginners.

I seem to recall that ski school starts down in Belle Plagne. Beginners could walk from Balcons down to the little bubble which goes straight down to Belle Plagne.

The Balcons chalets are in a fantastic location for intermediate skiers. I'd say the only let down is that the boot room is very basic - no heated boot warmers in sight, just some benches and lockers. The location still makes up for this though

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Thanks dkirkuk that's really useful information. Your description of the ski to door suggest all bar our beginners will be able to make it - frankly the most important bit I gleaned is that I definitely will be able to do it!

We are due in Belle Plagne on Jan 29th 2011 and looking forward to it. I think we are quite lucky in that our apartment has its own heated boot room.

UK
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Hi

can I ask if you booked direct with the complex or through a tour operator? I have been looking at these apartments but was rather put off by some not so flattering reviews. Just wondering if they aren't to be believed :-)

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Hi - I saw the same reviews and eventually figured out that you can't apply one set of reviews to the whole complex as each apartment is owned and maintained by a different operator.

We booked through Smitten by Snow which is a small operator, run by a Scottish couple who have been very responsive so far. They have a very informative website and I have high hopes. We booked Chalet chandon.

London
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

Went there last week - it is proper ski in/out - our beginners didn't do it as their skis were kept at the hire shop in Belle Plagne village, but our Level 1 2nd time skiers managed it without too many hiccups. For snowbaorders its very easy, I reckon a beginner snowboarder could do it by day 4 or 5.

Edited: 10 February 2011, 12:57
8. Re: Balcons De Belle Plagne - proper ski to door?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 21:22
Get answers to your questions about Macot-la-Plagne