We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosel River vacation

ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosel River vacation

We are planning a holiday in July to the Mosel valley region of Germany. A vague outline at this stage is arrival into Frankfurt Hahn airport and to travel by train to Cochem where we will base ourselves. We intend using public transport if possible. I understand that it is possible to do a Mosel river cruise from Cochem to Beilstein, a waterpark and a direct train line to Trier or Koblenz. Other ideas are a day trip to Cologne, Frankfurt,Heidelberg or Luxembourg. Can anyone advise if any of these day trips are possible or are there any other must see items. Would three nights be reasonable in Cochem and should we base ourselves in another location for 2 nights. Will travel from Sunday to Friday possibly. Thank you.

17 replies to this topic
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosel River vacation

"A vague outline at this stage is arrival into Frankfurt Hahn airport and to travel by train to Cochem"

No trains from Hahn. Take Bus 750.

www.moselbahn.de/mb_regiolinie_750.html…

"Other ideas are a day trip to Cologne, Frankfurt,Heidelberg or Luxembourg. Can anyone advise if any of these day trips are possible or are there any other must see items. "

All those places are really pretty far away for daytrips. Use trains to head to these places:

Burg Eltz Castle: www.burg-eltz.de

(Train to Moselkern, walk from there: http://www.bensbauernhof.com/burgeltzfrommoselkern.html)

Marksburg Castle: www.marksburg.de

Linz am Rhein, north of Koblenz, IMO the Rhine's most beautiful village: http://www.linz.de/pdf/Linz_Prospekt_2007.pdf

Trier: www.trier.de

In Cochem, check into the falconry show at Reichsburg Castle (no show Mon's.):

Photos: falknerei-reichsburg-cochem.de/flugvorfuhrun…

Edited: 01 January 2014, 23:39
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosel River vacation

(cont.)

The mini-group ticket (daypass, 21.80€ /day) and 3-day mini-group ticket (43.60€/2) will get you to the above destinations cheaply from Cochem. Moselkern may be cheaper on regular round-trip tickets since it's so close The exception is Trier; use the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket to go there (27€ for 2 round trip.)

vrminfo.de/en/…

Edited: 01 January 2014, 23:49
Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosel River vacation

Sorry about bad link in post #2:

vrminfo.de/en/…leisure-ticket

ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosel River vacation

Thank you for this information, exactly what I needed, can work with this now

Hinckley
Level Contributor
122 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosel River vacation

Just to add to the excellent posts above, the waterpark is called the Moselbad. You can easily spend a day here. In July the outside section will also be open, however you can only buy tickets for the indoor or the outdoor sections. There are spa like facilities.

I have seen people take bikes aboard some of the Mosel boats, so an option is to travel to Beilstein and cycle the return journey. There are good cycle ways now on both sides of the river between Cochem and Beilstein.

Another option could be to walk back to Cochem, and stop off at each village have have coffee / cakes / wine. if it was me I would cross the river using the ferry and then walk via Ellenz and Ernst.

ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosel River vacation

thank you for these great ideas, appreciate your reply very much

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
410 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosel River vacation

You will love it, I just got back from a trip, we started in Cochem, took the train from Frankfurt Flug, connected in Mainz to Koblenz, Koblenz to Cochem, I would echo if you don't mind a hike to go up to MoselKern, and take that hike, it was a blast to Burg Eltz, Great scenery and a day we will always remember.

The Reichsburg was also worth a look form our perspective. Not sure if you have a place to stay but we stayed at a place right on the main platz in Cochem, we found it cheaper and more charming, Hotel am Markt, it is a fairly new Hotel, not many reviews, though I did post mine if you care to check it out.

It is an area of Germany that seems overlooked but I would go back in a heartbeat! Be sure to take a stroll at night as well. Enjoy!

ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosel River vacation

Thank you for your advice. We are considering booking the Hotel Zehnthof because of its proximity to the train station as we will not have a car. Your enthusiasm for the area is brilliant .

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosel River vacation

kathryn 38: The Hotel Zehnthof is across the river from Cochem's old town and is actually further from the train station than most accommodations in Cochem. I would guestimate the distance at 2/3 - 3/4 mile.

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
6,209 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosel River vacation

Pension Gundert may or may not be what you're looking for - but it's near the station about mid-way on the walk into the old town.

www.booking.com/hotel/de/pension-gundert.html

Reply to: Mosel River vacation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted