We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

We can get a convenient flight to Frankfurt Hahn.Last year we stayed in Cochem for five nights and had a great holiday.Can anyone suggest another location nearby where we could visit this year.We managed without a car last time and travelled by train to different towns.We like cycling,river cruising,shopping,sightseeing..Its myself,my husband and teenage daughter.Thank you.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

How about Trier?

Boppard, Germany
Destination Expert
for Boppard
Level Contributor
2,620 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

Good suggestion by Quiltneedle. Trier is very interesting with Roman remains and you could use it as a base for visiting Luxembourg (the city and the country).

It is also fairly easy to get a bus to Koblenz from where you have good train connections along the Rhine. Believe it or not, there are even interesting places in the Hunsrück mountains c lose to "Frankfurt" Hahn, but you would need a car for that.

Dublin
Level Contributor
1 post
110 reviews
3. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

Bernkastel-Keus is beautiful. We flew to Hahn and got a taxi to Bernkastle Keus. Stayed there for 4 days. Lovely boat trips and half timbered house vibe. And fabulous wines.

Edited: 10 March 2015, 17:26
ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
4. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

Thank you for these suggestions.I have a few options to work with now

Plattsmouth Ne
Level Contributor
342 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

You will not be disappointed in Bernkastel; beautiful town, beautiful river, great hotels and resstaurants, wonderful wine, boat rides, and an excellent tourist center. There are sometimes, a lot of tourists, which some people consider a problem, but it's well worth a visit anyway.

ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
6. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

Berkastel Kues seems ideal for our holiday plans.We can visit Trier but would prefer a smaller location to base ourselves.I think we will need to hire a car as there is no train station in Bernkastel.Would that be a good idea.Thank you

Paradise, California
Destination Expert
for Rhineland-Palatinate
Level Contributor
7,176 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

Bernkastel is a gorgeous little town. But it is not necessarily a good travel base because of the bus connection needed every time you come and go. If you'd like a well-located base town with a train station, I would instead suggest somewhere more central, like Bullay. I've stayed there on separate occasions and had a great time. It's near the middle of the Koblenz-Trier line. It's the starting point for the off-shoot rail line to Reil and Traben-Trarbach (18 minutes.) It's an ideal place for biking too - a paved riverside path gets you to Zell in a few minutes - and for hiking/walking in the are (hike to Marienburg and Burg Arras via Alf, just across the river.

Bullay: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Bullay_2.jpg

Marienburg: …wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/20/Mosel_…

Burg Arras: www.die-mosel.de/zell/alf/Burg-Arras-alf.jpg

Biking in this area: radwegmosel.de/wp-content/…Mosel-2007-045.jpg

Traben-Trarbach: kreuv.nl/wp_kreuv/…2006traben17.jpg

Zell: weis-wein.de/res/…landschaft-01-full.jpg

ON the day you visit Bernkastel, you take the train to Wittlich and transfer to a bus. But you'll only need to do this on one day instead of every day you head out (were you to book a room in Bernkastel.) Another option is to cruise to Bernkastel from Traben-Trarbach (2 hours each way, very pleasant scenery:

moselrundfahrten.de/en/schedules-region.php…

In Bullay, I've stayed at the Hotel Mosella (nice place) and twice at a private B&B operated by a (now-retired) innkeeper.

http://www.hotel-mosella.de/en/hotel.html

The Lenz winery and "Onkel Tom's Hütte", a hike up into the vineyards from the center of Bullay:

weingut-friedhelm-lenz.de/de/strausswirtscha…

Edited: 11 March 2015, 18:49
ireland
Level Contributor
67 posts
8. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

Russ thank you so much for this information.Travelling by train is very convenient in Germany and Bullay is well located for many other connections.It sounds like a good option for us

9. Re: Frankfurt Hahn surrounding areas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2016, 23:15