We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

this week from the costa del sol??

Think I may have booked a week too early! What a perfect excuse not to have to fly home from Spain.

LANCS
Level Contributor
544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

Just got back from Benal today 6 days late. What a nightmare!

No one answered the phones at the travel companies , no one could get anyinfo of what to do, had to depend on other Brits to pool info and try to get help. The mobile phone bill is sky high, we spent 2 days trying to ring London travel companies and the rest of the time in the internet cafe. Next time we go to Benal we will take lap top, mobile phone charger, extra money and a cash card that is accepted in Spain.Will give report later!

Teddy

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,729 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

Where were you staying? Or were you left homeless? If you had somewhere to stay I cannot understand how it can have been 'a nightmare'.

Plenty of bars in Benalmádena showing Sky News etc., many people on TripAdvisor have been giving regular updates on flights etc., and 10 minutes in a Locutorio to access NATS, the BBC, your airline's website, emailing etc. is hardly that expensive.

The UK Government may have been rubbish throughout all of this, but I think it's unfair to blame airlines and holiday companies when they've been updating their websites within minutes of any significant change in the news throughout.

Certainly a mobe-charger and a cash-card that works outside the UK would be a good idea, but that's the case whenever and wherever you go. Phonecards from various providers also make calling home 95% cheaper!

england
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

My credit and debit cards are accepted in Spain, and the cash machines are multi-lingual. I know it's been extra expense.

Depends on your circumstances, but there was nothing really that anyone could do until the ban was lifted.

Now they're saying they may 'have been overcautious'. Bit late for that.

LANCS
Level Contributor
544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

We stayed in a private apartment so asked for extra week and were charged the full amount.

The airlines would not answer the phone so were kept on hold for many minutes until some one was free to talk .

Internet cafes full all the time.

Lots of hotel guests were only allowed to stay in their hotel for a few days then they were turfed out.

A coach picked up some guests yesterday to take them to Dover for a 36 hour coach journey.People in apartments were not given any infomation and were left to fend for them selves. If you were ticket only you had to contact the airline for info. You only found out your flight was cancelled when you got to the airport and by then you had returned your key. Many families had no money and had to return to the resorts and look for any accommodation. We heard some people hired cars for extortionate amounts.

Nerja, Spain
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

Commiserations Teddybye :-)

Your story sounds so similar of others on the news. No news whatsoever from most of the airlines!

LANCS
Level Contributor
544 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

We flew with Monarch , cannot fault them. The pilot said the airlines wanted to fly but were forbidden to.

The airline stewardesses volunteered to come and pick us up and lots were on leave but returned to fly us back. Our flight was smooth and we had no turbulance at all. We even got a free meal and free soft drink.

south yorks
Level Contributor
494 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

Well us here at home I don't suppose we can even begin to imagine what it was like for different familys,couples, singles whilst all this was going on some would think (as I would) extended holiday, others would panic over jobs family other things. The important thing is everyone is safe, may seem hard at the minute but everyone is safe. And who could have predicted this no one.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

Teddybye - I suspect I was on the same Monarch plane as you today. We've all had lots of hassle, stress & anxiety for several days now, an experience that I wouldn't wish to repeat; but once we got on the plane things went very smoothly.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

Some people just got back on the first plane from Alicante into Manchester today with Thomsons.

Edited: 21 April 2010, 22:58
10. Re: how are you all fairing - the people unable to fly home

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2010, 05:24
Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena