We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Just booked a long weekend to Benalmadena earlier tonight (Friday to Tuesday) through IceLolly.com.

We booked to fly from Edinburgh to Malaga, self-catering at the hotel Vista de Rey in Benal but it's one disaster after another. After we paid everything they phoned to say we could fly to Malaga from Edinburgh....via Oslo in Norway and the total flight time would be around 8 hours to destination! They said they could offer an alternative from Glasgow, we decided to take this so that was confirmed, great you'd think, sorted! I then started to wonder if it was proper Glasgow airport or, as it's (wrongly) now known..Glasgow Prestwick.....in Ayrshire (Nowhere near Glasgow by the way) phoned up and they said it was Prestwick! Just as well I checked, I might've ended up turning up at Glasgow! So we then had to book train tickets for 3 of us, stopping at Glasgow central then getting another down to Prestwick. The return flight won't get in 'til around midnight and the first train out of Prestwick isn't 'til 5:30ish in the morning so had to book an overnight stay in a b&b near the airport to get one at a reasonable time on Weds morning. That's not all, we waited 'til they sent through the conformation e-mail of the booking and they've booked us into....the Doramar Hotel! We'll have to phone them back tomorrow and get them to change it to where we wanted to go, dreading the hassle!

I read the reviews of the Doramar and although it's better locationwise to the beach, the reviews are generally poor. The Vista de Rey may be a bit further inland but Torremulle train station is next to it, ideal for getting into Torremolinos where we'd been previously the last two Octobers on All-Inclusive.

Can anyone who's been to either of the two hotels let us know what they are like? We've read about stag/hen groups disturbing everyone with drunken antics, do these hotels have any security/management around at night? Vista de Rey would seem to be the better option of the two. Any info would be good, thanks!

We've always said we'd try self-catering after years of A.I. hotels and also try using an online late deal website like icelolly instead of a proper travel agents. We'll do the holiday but thankfully it's only 4 nights, doubt we'll use this site in future, regretting booking this trip, should've stuck to what we know, A.I and proper agents. The amount that's been adding up we could've got to somewhere like Tenerife or Lanzarote on A.I. for 4 nights, from Edinburgh, and no hassle, never again!

Jambonian.

Edited: 02 September 2013, 23:57
Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

The Doramar are very basic and do attract loads of single sex parties etc. However the Vista De Rey is isolated with not a lot by it. Yes the train station is handy but taxis required after midnight.

Can ice lolly offer VillaSol, Bali or Sirocco in Benalmadena, they are generally simlar pricing on Travel Republic searches. At least they are in the main resort.

glasgow
Level Contributor
903 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

When are going?

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

i know many friends who have been with icelooly only because they heard them on deal or nodeal and thought they would be good to have nothing but hassle and bother and will never use them again. this is where this website is good as you can always ask for peoples experience before booking my friends didn;t and it was a nightmare for them. good luck getting it all worked out for you.

Trish.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Mantalk,

My girlfriend phoned this morning to sort it out and they can't change the booking unfortunately but I will take a note of the hotels you mentioned and perhaps use them in future, handy to know, thanks.

David10,

We are going on Friday, the 6th Sept 'til Tuesday 10th.

Pat H/Trish,

Thanks, we'll have to use the Doramar now, thankfully it's only a long weekend and not a full holiday!

I'd heard about icelolly over the last few years but never thought about using them or any other similar website before, I don't trust websites or tv teletext holidays etc, I don't even use e-banking, I prefer to speak with people face to face than through a computer. We've mostly used Thomas Cook, Barrhead travel, and Thomson in a high street branch or shopping malls previously although we have used Jet2's own holiday website before without any trouble, think that's why we decided to give icelolly a go, oh well, you live and learn, trying to be positive, at least the Doramar is down close to the beach and nightlife so not all bad, the Vista de Rey was only chosen for closeness to Torremuelle station, easy access into Fuengirola, Torremolinos and also so we didn't have to use a transfer company, i'll check maps to see what station is closest to the Doramar (perhaps Benalmadena's own one maybe?) and just hope it's not so far from the hotel that it might be better/easier just to get a taxi from the airport instead. Thanks all, for the replies, really appreciated.

Jambonian.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Train 1.95€ from Airport to Arroyo/Benalmadena @ 02, 22 & 42mins past. Taxi to Doramar around 6€ max.

Taxi from airport 25€ ish.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

mantalk, thanks for that, I've got off there a couple of times before when I've come along from Torremolinos, if I remember correctly..is the taxi rank just out and round from the station? Your info is much appreciated.

Jambonian.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

You got it Jambo. Always seem to be taxis waiting too.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Hi we have been going to Benalmadena for years . we find it easier and cheaper to book flight and accommodation off private rental sites and our own flight. this seems the best and cheapest option. we had had no problems so far, Good luck for the future.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,791 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Ok, thanks once again mantalk, appreciated.

Teresa W , what private rental sites do you use, out of interest? Could be very handy for us to know for future holidays etc.

Jambonian.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,651 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels Vista de Rey and Doramar :- icelolly.com

Both www.holidaylettings.co.uk and www.homeaway.co.uk check out owners who advertise with them, and offer some guarantee if all monies pass through their online booking system. There is also the "holiday rental" tab in TA above. (TA recently bought Holiday Lettings).

There are others, but i have no experience of them. We have booked the hotels via www.alpharooms.com or www.booking.com but have always arranged my own flights. Even when we went San Francisco, Honolulu, cruise Hawaii and back to Las Vegas before back to Heathrow. No trouble at all. (except BA losing a bag between Heathrow and Manchester)

Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena