We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
228 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

We are going again this year in September for the third time and are really looking forward to it. We have a list of restaurants that we want to go back to and a couple that we haven't enjoyed which we won't bother with, what are your must do restaurants when you go to the area? Ours are:-

GOOD:-

Caliu - In Montemar - had a couple of great meals and one bad one (though not the food) but that was because the staff were running ragged after a really awful huge group who were really rude, the good meals far made up for the bad experience - so want to go again.

La Langosta - Carihuela - had Paella a couple of times here and was beautiful, plus gorgeous location overlooking the beach, felt a little special.

La Vina de Ale - Montemar - Amazing tapas, only found this on our last couple of days - must go again.

Indian City - Had a couple of curries here each year and they were amazing eah time - definitely go again.

Chiringuito nearest the marina/Burger king with loads of plants in the windows, can't remember its name - had amazing Gambas Pil Pil here a couple times over the years and its lovely sipping a cold beer watching the beach.

Cafe Florida - this is a wierd one, its a small cafe bar in Montemar opposite the medical centre and the tapas you get with a beer is amazing! Only discovered this towards the end of our last holiday and will definitely go again, we previlusly always walked straight past it as it looks nothing. Amazing home made tapas, different with each drink, so I could happily stay there all afternoon!

The Ivy - Good food the few times we ate here a couple of years ago, but trying to stay away from the English restaurants. The English breakfast was good here a couple of years ago as well, not greasy at all and I had an amazing seafood linguine. Though last year we didn't bother here.

Rumours bar - Montemar - usually had a drink here at night with good atmosphere

Browns bar - sometimes sat here in the late afternoon as a few of the chairs were still in the sun

BAD:-

Pinocho - marina - I think it was only because we went and had the pizza for €5 and it was either undercooked or burnt, but it does seem very popular and it was really busy the day we went due to the pizza offer - but won't bother again.

The Launch - Carihuela - tried tapas here a couple of years ago as it always seems so busy with the Dutch crowd, but the food didn't taste fresh or warm, I would even say it was horrible, very disappointed.

Chinese in Montemar - can't remember its name, the one opposite the Riu - just very bland, though cheap, wouldn't bother again.

Mirage - Montemar - they open early for breakfast so ate here before going to the airport couple of years ago, found it to be very greasy, so won't bother again.

I do think that everyone has different opinions so my good ones, may be someone elses bad ones, so would be very interested in other peoples thoughts.

A

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

100 Montaditos in Arroyo.

50 cents for more than 100 different varieties of mini-bocadillos on a Monday.

€1 days are on a Wednesday and Sunday with large beers also €1 on those days.

A fun day out and nothing like McDonalds. ;-)

http://spain.100montaditos.com/promociones

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Hi there

It might be better to post in the Torremolinos Forum as that's where all these restaurants/bars are, so you may well get more of a response.

You can find it here: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187440-i353-Tor…

Also, because everyone's tastes are or could be essentially different, it might be better to say what kind of food you enjoy and vibe you expect, then people can maybe give their recommendations based on that (discounting the one's you've either tried or not liked).... just a thought.

Where abouts are you staying?

Edited: 06 February 2014, 16:56
stoke on trent
Level Contributor
228 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Thanks, I was considering putting on both anyway, we stop in Montemar and feel that it is closer to Benal that Torre though. We are after the Spanish holiday since we are away without the children now that we are middle aged. We like our food and drink, but want to try a bit of everything.

A

Newcastle, England
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Cheap decent Chinese?

Try Especial Fu near 24 hour square, so near the Torremolinos / Benalmadena border.

I've tried a few, but this has been consistently the best for the cheap set menus.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g562812-…

Take no notice of the main picture, it's wrong!

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,465 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Try the Pil Pil at Cristl just along from The Launch. Excellent.

Pinocchios along the paseo Benalmadena side of the marina, its up above a spanish cafe just past Hotel Riviera. Excellent seaview terrace, good tapas.

Further on towards the Windmills roundabout turn up to the main road by a bar called Newz, across the road is Rofeo Steakhouse, better than any marina restaurant and cheaper too.

Seek out Plaza Ole (by Triton hotel) too, La Taberna Ole followed by Bar Ole for excellent cocktails.

Just a few alternatives from Benalmadena point of view.

Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
191 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Four Spanish restaurants that spring to mind near to ones you have visited are-

TABERNA RUFINO Up from Caliu on opposite side of road

LA ZOCA near to Langosta

EL TRILLO & BAR MOGAN both on same side of road as RUMOURS,MIRAGE , IVY towards Hotel Sol Timor.

K

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
10,810 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

Taberna Urbana la Alternativa done out as a Bull Ring, serves great tapas and has a restaurant, just above bus station, Restaurante El Portico, love the side tapas bar here, top of San Miguel to the right.

Chiringuito Isabel in the Carihuela for tapas, just down the road, Tito Juans, voted again most authentic tapas bar in Torremolinos.

Hispania, meson carlos and La Bodeguita del Sur all side by side on paseo del Colorado, three great tapas bars, all award winning in a straight line, all offering fantastic food to entice you in,great for a warm up before the night life of Los alamos, for me the place for lively night life now.

Very true about the The launch, replaced a great place, with an awful offer.

8. Re: Must do restaurants and bars when you go to the area?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2015, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena