We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar trip

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Thurles, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Gibraltar trip

We are visiting Benalmadina late March/early April and would very much like to include a trip to Gibraltar in our holiday. Am a bit concerned as I read that the Spanish government have been holding people up at customs for long periods of time, as they do periodically, which might spoil the idea of a day trip if we don't want to wait in a queue for a couple of hours to get in. I saw a recommendation somewhere that it's a good idea to leave the car on the Spanish side of the crossing and walk over into Gib. Would appreciate any advice on both these topics please.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,850 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibraltar trip

We haven't done a day trip to Gibraltar for a couple of years now but we always park on the Spanish side of the border at La Línea de la Conceptión and walk across. There is metered parking running parallel with the bay which cannot be too expensive or my husband would have had a good moan, if memory serves me right the meters only take coins. I have also parked in a sandy piece of waste ground where car park attendants were waving drivers into unmarked spaces, I was not charged for parking here but don't know if that was just luck. It is a flat walk over the border to Gibraltar crossing the runway which is safely guarded with a level-crossing type arrangement. Once on the Gib side there are plenty of tour buses and taxis if you wish to use them. We have always walked. Remember comfy shoes and your passports.

Saludos. Lindsay

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,726 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibraltar trip

I think the meters were around 5€ for 5 or 6 hours, which is generally enough time in Gibraltar. There are at least 2 underground car parks close to the border as well, similar pricing.

Thurles, Ireland
Level Contributor
11 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibraltar trip

Thanks both for your helpful information.

4. Re: Gibraltar trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena