We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair?

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
334 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair?

Has anybody flown with Ryanair lately? I only ask because last October we flew with them, and after alot of hassle moving things around in bags for weight purposes, out hand luggage wasn't weighed anyway. I just want to know if anybody who's flown with them has had their hand luggage weighed going or coming back? Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,223 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair?

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/baggage

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
334 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair?

I've obviously read that, I wanted personal opinion.

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair?

I think it depends on who is on the desk......sometimes they check sometimes not.

You can now carry a handbag on as well so that will help the hand luggage weight a bit.

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
334 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair?

Thanks. Will weigh just incase :)

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
15,423 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair?

They tend to check size rather than weight to be honest. They often pass up and down the Q with a cardboard sleeve that they try over your hand luggage or they ask you to try it in the metal frame near the gate.

Only ever had it weighed once with Ryanair at Alicante airport a few years ago. Never seen scales at departure gates at Malaga.

Not sure if you were checking in hold luggage as well that they wouldnt ask you to weigh it there.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
3,729 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair?

Sometimes at Malaga they may ask you to put your hand luggage in the "cage" to see if it fits. So really, as MT says, it's more on size than weight. This could also be dependant if flight is full.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
9,197 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair?

It often depends on timing.

Ryanair run to a very tight schedule and if they are running slightly late they seem more concerned with getting people on board.

I have seen them rushing passengers onto the plane and not even looking at the hand luggage . many bags were quite obviously oversize but they got away with it.

On another occasion , when there was more time , they had a weighing scales as well as the measuring box and checked carefully.

Seems to be down to luck.

Graham

Merseyside
Level Contributor
158 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ryanair?

It depends on which airport you are flying from. They tend to weigh the bags at Liverpool airport, but not at Manchester? I have been stopped at Liverpool as my carry on case was slightly over weight. I had to take some items out and put them in my pockets to reduce the weight. I just took a few books out and then it was under the 10KG allowance. I have never had my bag weighed at Manchester and you can also take a carrier bag with shop purchases at Manchester, which gives you more space to use.

Liverpool, England...
Level Contributor
334 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ryanair?

See, I flew from Liverpool last time and it wasn't weighed. Seems completely random! I doubt my bag is 10kg anyway, it's just a soft bag with clothes in!

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
1,035 posts
361 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ryanair?

Recently my husband and I had our bags weighed.....his was 7.5kg and mine was 10.4kg........they made me take something out and add it to his bag to get it under 10kg even though it was such a small amount and we were together.

It's just down to luck if they stop you.

Get answers to your questions about Benalmadena