We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

drive to cordoba

Which Benalmadena hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
lancashire england
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
drive to cordoba

We are going to benalmadena in a few weeks and would like to go to Cordoba for a day trip. We will have a car so can anyone give us an idea of how long the drive will be? Are there any tolls and any info on parking when we get there. We want to visit the mezquita but what else is a "must see".

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,260 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: drive to cordoba

Info for your excursions.

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Parking Cordoba www.parkopedia.com/embed-parking-maps

www.turismodecordoba.org

www.catedraldecordoba.es/visita/index.html

lancashire england
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: drive to cordoba

Thankyou. I had looked at those links but while Michelin estimates 2 hours 18 mins for the journey, I read somewhere that it only takes an hour and a half. Can anyone clarify please. Almost an hour difference seems a lot

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,888 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: drive to cordoba

AA route planner gives drive time as 1hr 44mins, I had looked at the weekend as doing the same drive early Nov. www.theaa.com/route-planner/index.jsp…

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: drive to cordoba

It's more like an hour and a half if you go up past Antequera , I went with friends for the day and it's not that much of a busy route.

Alternatively, I know you have a car but to experience the views and the scenery and also the AVE train, why not take that route?

Just hop on the train at Benalmadena straight to Malaga then transfer to the AVE there to Cordoba. - price would be about €30 return so it's very cheap - journey takes an hour.

At least you have options :)

lancashire england
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: drive to cordoba

Would love to get the train but with 5 of us it will be a lot cheaper to drive. Thanks for all your help

Cordoba, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: drive to cordoba

As I live in Córdoba and like to weekend on the coast, I do the trip quite often. I would say 1 hr 50 mins. There is a toll road part of the way but avoid it. It is expensive and will only save you a few minutes.

A great place to park for free in Córdoba is behind the sports centre Vista Alegre on Avenida Aeropuerto. From here it is about a 18 min walk to the Mesquita and generally easy to find a space.

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/Mezquita-catedral+de+C%C3%B3rdoba,+Calle+del+Cardenal+Herrero,+1,+14003+C%C3%B3rdoba/37.8755194,-4.7921604/@37.8779291,-4.7900652,16z/data=!4m10!4m9!1m5!1m1!1s0xd6d2082ce1a16cf:0xefebc353f81bf636!2m2!1d-4.779387!2d37.878906!1m0!3e2!5i1

The link I attach shows you the route from parking I suggested to the Mesquita.

The place to visit is Alcazar de los Reyes near the Mesquita and the royal stables, if you are lucky you will see the horses practising their routines for the shows.

Be prepared for the heat yesterday it reached 51degC in the centre, you will find it very different from Benalmadena!!!

Ian
Leeds U.K.
Destination Expert
for Costa del Sol
Level Contributor
11,053 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: drive to cordoba

Have to say from Torremolinos takes me around 1hr 45 minutes, but as my daughter will state I never get the car out of first gear nowadays.

If driving near the speed limit, time would be a lot shorter. I took the A45 all the way apart from the last bit on the A4, the A45 is a great dual carriage way with a 120km speed limit on the majority of the route.

Never use toll roads and still use road maps not sat navs. My detailed andalucia road map has a price ticket of 450 pesetas so has earned its cost, has a street map of Cordoba and other large towns as well.

Never leaves my hand luggage bag.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: drive to cordoba

I have a friend with a fast car who thinks speed limits are for sissies and he takes 2 and a half hours from Torremolinos.

I have a car but would always go by train. Takes an hour of relaxing time from Málaga and you pass through El Chorro gorge. By the time you take the cost of petrol off it is worth every penny, admittedly for two of us,

Yes lots to see apart from the Cathedral (the Church has banned calling it the mezquita and hates the signs of its old use). The royal palace is worth a visit but the gardens attached are better. The Arab baths are the best I have seen, the Roman bridge is not especially good but the view from the other side is spectacular. On a day trip you probably won't be able to see much of the old jewish quarter or the patio gardens but there is a reason TA had it at No.4 in the World's best attractions.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,740 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: drive to cordoba

squidge:

If your car has a GPS, it will help because the entry to Cordoba from the main highway may be confusing.

lancashire england
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: drive to cordoba

Thankyou for all your help. Getting really excited now. Only a week to go. Can't wait!!!!

Edited: 27 July 2014, 00:37