We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
229 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

Myself and my wife are on a few prescribed medications. We recently went to Cyprus and before we went I had to to get a permit from the Cypriot consulate for some sleeping tablets that my wife was taking at the time so will i have to do the same for travelling to Spain? we will be in Salou in 3 weeks.

Thanks.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
9,362 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

No. Best to stick them in your case if possible. But if it isn't, nobody really cares - with all our ailments they'd be there all week checking us.

One practical suggestion - if you do HAVE to take stuff on board in hand luggage, take the prescription copy

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
83,163 posts
3,762 reviews
3,585 helpful votes
2. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

Yes, put your medication in your suitcase.

Little Canfield...
Level Contributor
3,107 posts
419 reviews
169 helpful votes
3. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

Do NOT put medication in your hold luggage, it may go missing!!

My husband always puts his in hand luggage and carries a copy of the prescription and never has any problems.

You are also entitled to take liquid medication over 100mls, through security provided you have a prescription.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
52 reviews
59 helpful votes
4. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

"Yes, put your medication in your suitcase."

NO, NO, NO !

Awful advice, absolutely the worst thing you can do. Put medicines in your hand luggage.

St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
9,362 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

I will survive if my luggage with medication goes missing - it never has. As I said, if you have to take some in your hand luggage, take the prescription. if you don't just bung it in the case. You meet staff as rude as at Bilbao you'll wish you had for sure.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
9,120 posts
52 reviews
59 helpful votes
6. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

It's not just if the case goes missing. What if your flight is delayed by 8 hours [or even more] ?

You can't get access to your hold luggage - what are you going to do ?

Hand luggage every time for medicines that you need to take on a regular basis.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

I've been to salou a few times+put my medication in my handbag never been stopped or questioned at security.

Hampton, United...
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
18 reviews
30 helpful votes
8. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

Statistics say that just under 0.1% of cases go missing, so small chance but just as you haven’t been hit before does not mean you won’t this time

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
9. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

Hi all. I always take some in hand luggage and some in the hold luggage just in case one gets lost.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
758 posts
145 reviews
85 helpful votes
10. Re: Taking prescribed medication to Spain.

We fly all the time and have never been asked what our medication is or what it is for. It actually baffles me sometimes as the tablets could be anything really.

We always carry ours in our hand luggage.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.