We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

we are still undecided where to take our family holiday someone has mentioned salou we have children 22, 18,13 does salou seem a good suggestion we like clean resorts with plenty of resturants spanish english ect we like a nice seafront, promenade and lovely beach plent of shops to wander around we were also hoping to rent a private apartment hope seafront is there enough to keep us all entertained any suggestions would be much appreciated

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

Salou in summer is so full, the beach gets absolutely packed and the sea too. And the sea is shallow, I think better altogether with smaller children.

On Costa Daurada you could look at Sitges and Vilanova (and read up on forums about both). I prefer both to Salou (I've only been to Salou to visit a Spanish friend holidaying there, certainly isn't where I would choose to go for a week or more!). Sitges and Vilanova also give you the chance of easyday-tripsto Barcelona if you want.

Castelldefels is another beach town even nearer Barcelona, not a resort really but lots of ordinary shops as well as as beach-type ones. Castelldefels has lots of apartments and many Barcelonans have beach apartments there, and more and more people live there year-round incl lots of expats. Long wide beach (gets less crowdedthanSitges) and nice promenade so if those elements are important could be a good choice.

Or have a look at Tossa del Mar and Lloret (on the Costa Brava) and see what you think, both cater to English-speakers. Perhaps Blanes too. Platja d'Áro is another fairly lively resort but may not be as geared to English-speakers. L'Ëstartit (central Costa Brava) is nice but quite small so if shopping is very important than maybe not so good.

For apartment rentals look at holiday-rentals.co.uk and vrbo.com

Spaniards eat out a lot so never a problem finding restaurants!

Edited: 12 January 2011, 09:19
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
100 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

many thanks for your information will certainly look at all your suggestions i think my trouble is that i only seem to look at the resortsthat i have heard of so your reccomendations are very welcome kind regards

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

Hi Doris, one thing in Salous favour is the ease of transfers between the airport at Reus and the resorts. favourite areas on the coast are Salou itself, Cap Salou, La Pineda and Cambrils. As well as easy access to Barcelona, you have the cities of Taragonna and Reus a short bus ride away.

The authorities have spent a lot of money upgrading the promenade and there is now a cycleway from (almost) Cap Salou, all the way South to well past Cambrils.

There is Port Aventura theme park in Salou, and Aquapolis Waterpark with sea lion shows in La Pineda. For the two older lads, La Pineda is also host to La Pacha (disco/nightclub) which boasts some great DJs and Party Nights.

For an idea on the local culture, try this link

www.costadaurada.info/d1/tradicionsindex.php…

wherever you decide to go, have a great trip

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

Salou is busy because there is so much to do for all age groups. The food choice is from budget to upmarket.

It's a really friendly resort and is popular with families of all ages many of whom return from year to year. There'll be plenty to keep all your family amused.

Every year one of our holidays is to Salou even though we go to other destinations later in the year.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

Re airports, best for Salou is Reus, best for Costa Brava is Girona (Ryanair flights in both cases), Sitges and Vilanova are nearer Barcelona airport (code =BCN) and Castelldefels is very near so some planes overfly it.

There are trains from Salou to Barcelona and the journey takes just over an hour, however obviously not as frequent as trains from Vilanova and Sitges (places that some people do commute to Barcelona from). From Sitges/Vilanova you could get the train to Tarragona too (from other direction).

Reus is interesting to visit, not touristy. Gaudí was born just outside Reus and there's a Gaudí interpretation centre as well as lots of modernista buildings in town.

Edited: 13 January 2011, 08:12
UK
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

So pleased you asked this question. I have the same decision to make with daughters aged 22,20,18.

We visited Barcelona last year and loved it! We spent a couple of days in Sitges and found to be a lovely little seaside resort. There were plenty of restaurants from tapas bars to pizza places to quite smart fish restaurants. Sitges has many shops ranging from the usual beach shops to some lovely craft shops and boutiques. The beaches and promenade were clean and the whole town seemed very vibrant- just the type of place were the 'children' could do their own thing while you relax on the beach or by the pool.

Happy hunting!

Hartsdale, NY
Level Contributor
177 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

We are traveling with two teenage boys (14 and 18), so had the same question. I remember reading that Sitges was a gay magnet, so am not sure if it's defined as a predominantly gay resort, or just a mix. From what you say, Sitges is a better destination for us than Salou. Any other suggestions? Are we better off going north towards Cadaques? I had thought not because of congestion and lack of lovely beaches.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,310 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

I have stayed in Salou for a week several years ago and enjoyed it. Walking along the beach is great and there are many stores to entertain visitors.

The hotels offer many excursions in the surrounding area, such as to Tarragona and Reus. Cambrils is the next beach town beside Salou that is also interesting.

Hartsdale, NY
Level Contributor
177 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

Ok, it sounds like Salou is the place. We'll have a car, so are flexible. Is there a resort, or is it better to stay in an apartment? Thanks for your help sorting this out.

10. Re: is salour suitable for a teenage family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 21:15
Get answers to your questions about Salou