We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

Preston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

Apologies for this being in the style of a review but I've just copied it from the pending review I wrote.

Thanks to help obtained on Tripadvisor before we left the UK, we had a great time.

Thought it would be a good idea to give a bit of advice back.

When we arrived 4 hours late because of a flight delay we were met by a smiling friendly night receptionist who quickly had everything sorted and gave us a free 2ltr bottle of water - nice touch.

On entering the room we were happy with the large size of room and having a fridge and kettle and the cot for our little one was already there all set up.

We found the room and in particular the floor to be clean (room 314; block A, third floor - great one bed apartment). The day after we arrived I moved all the furniture around so the children had the bedroom while mum and dad claimed the room with the tv and access to the kitchen.

There were plenty of towels and we had over 20 coat hangers in our wardrobe.

Toilet paper was always replenished and I’m sorry but if you don't know that the standard routine for dirty towels is to leave them in the bath then presumably you either haven't been on holiday before or you are ignorant. It even tells you this in the welcome info.

Hot water - every night no problems having two adult showers followed by half bath of hot water for little ones - i.e. plenty of hot water.

If you have done your homework you will know that over 300 reviews out of 440 are under the category 'family' so to complain about the hotel being catered for children is strange.

Restaurant - tables laid for evening meal, not lunch or breakfast. Anyway the food more than made up for that. We didn't mind clearing our own table but some groups didn't bother. We felt that this gave the hotel a friendlier feel and everyone was chipping-in together. You always get the odd individual who drops a plate a food and is ignorant enough to walk away. The way I see it, if you want the waiters to clean up they'll have less time to keep food replenished on the buffet station - If they had to employ more staff, your holiday wouldn't be as cheap.

Food was very good and just about varied enough for a week stay. If you want fresh fruit you need to look at the melon, peaches and fruit cocktail. Also, there was a big basket of fruit every day containing apples, pears, oranges and bananas!

Snack bar did really good burgers, also chips, pizza etc from noon to 10.30pm except during evening meal 6.30-9.30pm. If you order a plate of ‘nachos’ don’t have that awful cheese sauce poured on them.

Agree that some children were off the leash, but we never experienced any problems. Hotel staff keeps on top of telling children not to run and to stay away from the lifts.

Drinks were good and queues were kept to a minimum (in May). Could be very busy in height of summer.

Staff excellent, English staff friendly. Spanish staff were easy enough to understand, some had better levels of English than others, but if you go to Spain without even attempting a single word of Spanish as some others, then that is very poor. Chances are that their English is far better than your Spanish so bear that in mind before complaining!

We found the hotel to be at a comfortable capacity at the end of May, but would not like it any busier such as in July or August.

It is true that some people reserve beds when pool gates open at 9am. It's either a case of 'can't beat them so join them' or report to reception. The busiest pool days seem to be at weekends and Wednesdays when the majority of people are arriving or departing.

Entertainment was poor and repetitive, not much of a problem for us as we travelled into Salou twice, went for walks twice and into Cap Salou once. The entertainment is by a company who must do entertainment at several hotels in the area. The problem is that they're basically stealing a living providing the same rubbish over and over again. How many times can you listen to Rolf Harris singing 'just passing by' at 100x speed before you want to go to the roof of the hotel and take a jump? That is only my entitled opinion and there are probably many who enjoy the entertainment.

Cap Salou is good and beaches around the area are fabulous. Massive beach in Salou, but near the hotel you have fantastic cove beaches and you can walk out 50m and still only be knee deep in sea water. Great for children.

If you turn left out of the hotel reception and follow the main road you will find the Donaire Beach Hotel which sits at the end of La Pineda beach. This took 15mins to walk to from Festival Village.

If you turn right out of the hotel reception you will come to a roundabout straight away. Turn left at the roundabout and in a further 10mins down a hill and a couple of turns you will come to Cala Crancs cove beach (signposted) which has a bar on the beach and shower facility. Not many English tourists here - a nice change.

If you carry straight on at that roundabout instead and go straight down the main road you will pass a supermarket down the first right turn after the roundabout (Michael Angelo), at the third right turn you will come to a Spar which is where you can get the fun train (walley trolley as some call it). In that Spar they also sell full fat Cravendale milk in cartons if you have little ones who drink milk. Carry on down that hill past the hotel Mediterraneano (or named something similar) and you will see the Knights Inn pub. Go down the left hand side of the pub and you come to about 60 to 70 steps (didn't count them) leading to another cove beach (no facilities at this one).

Carry on walking past the Knights Inn towards Salou and within another 5 mins you will come to a roundabout. Turn left and this will lead to another cove beach, another beach partitioned by rocks and a larger beach where at the end of it you will see the steps and windy road (and walley trolley road) leading into Salou (big fountain in Salou is approx 45mins walk from Festival Village).

Back to the Spar just before the Knights Inn and if you go left towards the centre of Cap Salou there is a great viewing area over two cove beaches to the left and to the right a cove beach down steps, a rocky area and in the distance more beaches and further still Salou. There are also steps leading down to the cove beaches on your left.

Walking down into Cap Salou on your right is a road just before the pharmacy between two hotels which slopes down to the cove beaches.

Walking further down into Cap Salou Centre there are a few bars, shops, restaurants, funfair for children and play areas.

You can actually carry on walking if you wanted to and it would take you past a children’s play area with swings, through a residential area and back to the roundabout outside the hotel.

Perhaps it is pot luck on the condition of your room as some of the reviews suggest, but I would hazard a guess and say Block A on a high floor with pool view is a safe bet if you only need a one bed apartment.

By the way if your transfer is with a company called Cotes and you're not on a big coach, make sure they drive down to the entrance otherwise you will be faced with steps or a walk to either end of the hotel and down the slope. On the return to the airport they stopped at the top of the steps but I signalled for them to come down to reception and they did as it was only a minibus.

Thanks go to Mark the scouser who was sat on his balcony and spotted us being dropped off at the top of the steps and ran down to help carry the bags and prams.

Also thanks to Ryan the Thomas Cook rep who I went to watch the Froch v Bute fight with in a bar in Salou after the England v Norway game and for the various tips and advice he gave us even though we hadn't booked with Thomas Cook.

To summarise, I would recommend this friendly hotel to families on a tight budget without high expectations. There is plenty to see and do outside of the hotel if that is your thing. If not, you will still have a great time if you enjoy sitting by the pool and within the hotel boundaries.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,847 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

That is a very interesting and useful article .

It`s good that people return to the site to help others.

By the way !!!

YOU`RE the one who goes round hotels all over the world dragging furniture about at one o`clock in the morning are you ????

Graham

Preston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

Haha, no i had the decency to wait until the following afternoon before moving the furniture.

I think you mean the people who were staying in the room next to us!!!

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

Did you go out for any meals and if so can you give any idea on the price of food and drink any child friendly recommendations.

Preston...
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

No, like i say the food was varied enough for a one week stay and with having two little ones they tend to pick and choose, so eating out can be expensive if they don't eat what you buy them.

When we did go out into Cap Salou there was a Salsa bar with live music and i think they were selling pints of San Miguel for €2.50.

I did get a flier from the black swan but can't remember how much the food was in there.

I'm sure if you ask a question on the forum someone will be able to answer.

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

Nice post. I can almost feel the warmth of the sun again. For those that like to go off road, directly opposite, next to the bus shelter across the road, there is a walk up through the pines to some civil war gun enplacements looking out over the bay between La Pineda and cap salou. Not a walk for younger children as it can get steep in places. You can follow one of the paths round and come our at the Golden Donaire.

I usually go by the pavement when walking here, as you can often spot Geckos sunning themselves a few inches out from the shrubbery.

Anyway, thanks for posting Goodfella, and glad you enjoyed the trip.

6. Re: Tips & advice if you're going to Festival Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 21:40