We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Hi ladies and gents,

I was wondering if anyone who has been to Port Aventura could help me out with something. I was involved in booking a holiday to Salou that I'll be going on next week.

There's a group of us. Salou, with a trip to Port Aventura, was my idea, as I figured it'd suit everyone down to the ground.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I've been hearing reports of Shambhala (the rollercoaster) not being very accommodating to 'bigger people'.

I was wondering if anyone would have any information on this? I'd be a fairly big guy myself, personally, but there's another larger guy in the group, and I'd feel like a moron after having suggested this place and harped on about it for ages, if it now looks like he's gonna be made feel horribly embarrassed there, so I'm just looking to see if I can find out what kind of restrictions the larger rider faces on it.

Pretty much, from what I've read, it seems to be attacking mostly people with a bigger thigh area (so belly, etc. doesn't seem to matter too much). Unfortunately, at a guess, that'd be where this guy would hold a fair bit of his weight (and myself too, though i'd be a bit smaller than himself, and I don't really care if I get kicked off stuff, but I'd be more concerned about himself).

I contacted PA asking if they had a rough measurement for the maximum suitable size, but I never got a reply (this would've been a week or so ago). I know most theme parts usually state a maximum user waist size or such on their ride information, but I can't seem to find this information on Shambhala, so I was just hoping to see if anyone here could assist at all?

(To give an idea of my size, I wear pants that are about a 40" waist, and they'd be a comfortable fit on me. Not sure if that will directly relate to this or not though. I wouldn't be able to make an educated guess on my friend, but he'd be a little bigger than I).

Sorry for the drawn out/long message.

Shane

Mentioned in this post
Salou
Salou
Costa Dorada, Spain
edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

I think if you are large the biggest problem will not be getting on the rides it will be getting off the ride. The seats are made for an average size person and i do not think you will be stopped trying to get on so give it a try. Get express passes this will save you waiting for an hour or more. If you can sit in an airline seat you should be okay. The shambhala is slightly different because the seat is shaped and has a ridge between the top of your thighs.

Wales
Level Contributor
426 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

It was a few months ago now but I recall thinking it was pretty uncomfortable when climbing in. Obviously that thought soon went.

I wouldn't like to say for sure, but I guess there is a potential problem with a large 'bum and thighs'. But hey, I keep reading that half the world are 'too big' so it wouldn't hold me back.

Better to try and be turned away than just watch wondering in my opinion.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Cheers guys, for the replies.

Have been reading up on it online, but can't for the life of me get anything official (I'd have assumed that most rollercoasters/parks would give a maximum user size guide on their website or such, but evidently not... Though Thorpe Park seem to give a max size on their site).

I can't speak for my friend, of course, but with me personally, I was in Port Aventura in 2010 and was about the same size I am now. I fit grand into every other ride, and I've not really got any real issues with Ryanair seats, for example.

But at the same time, I'd been hearing that Shambhala was turning away even people who were average size, but that just had some weight in their thighs.

Just seems an odd one. Someone who reviewed the park on here, mentioned that they couldn't ride it as they were too big, so I've sent them a message but haven't heard back. Hopefully all will be okay.

Thanks again for the comments.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Hi Shane I find it is better to ring the information number on the pa site as I have never had replies from emails.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much, I have seen larger people on dragon khan been moved to seats that can accomodate their size so it is probably an option on many rides but maybe in peak seasons its difficult to accomodate everyone.

There is so much to do in the park I doubt anyone will be disappointed. The theming is fantastic as are the shows and it will be decorated for Halloween when you go. It will also be much quiter midweek so you will be able to make the most of it.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Hi Crazeedaisy,

Can I ask, do you mean the number on PortaAventura.co.uk (00 34 977 77 90 90)? I had assumed that was only their for ticket sales or such (i didn't think it was a customer service place, but rather was just a telesales centre or something).

I've been to the park before, and I do like it. Think it's a great spot, but just a little worried about this coaster (should point out that I personally fit fine on everything in the park last time I went, but my friend, who is a little larger than I, has never been before, so although I reckon he'd be fine on Baco, Khan, etc. I'm worried about Shambhala).

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Hi Shane

My husband is 18 stone and takes 44" waist trousers and he went on it loads of times this summer.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Shane yes that is the number I called last year asking when the Halloween season starts. If they can't help ask them for a contact number where someone can.

Also this may be a bit mad but have a look on you tube at the videos of people riding Shamballa you may be able to compare!!

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Hi Swan007,

That's great information. I'm about a 40" at most, myself. If I'd to guess I'd say my friend is around the same as your husband, so. If he rode it then that (should) mean that my friend would be grand, too.

That's brilliant information. Helps put my mind at ease a bit. Thanks for that!

Also, Crazeedaisy, I just rang that number (to see if it would be any use) but they only really seemed to offer information on opening times or restaurant reservations.

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

Have actually checked Youtube, Daisy. Also did some Google Image searching and such. Maybe I was just unlucky (in this particular quest) but couldn't really see anyone who would be noticeably overweight on it. Everyone seemed thin enough in the pictures/photos I'd seen.

I really, genuinely appreciate all the help and advice on this, by the way. Ye guys are excellent.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Port Aventura - Shambhala Rollercoaster Question

The seat on the shambhala is more like a horse saddle with sides. quite uncomfortable but keeps you firmly in place, which is what you want.

Get answers to your questions about Salou