We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just read reviews !!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Just read reviews !!!!

Hi just book Hotel Calypso please tell me it's not as bad as the reviews !!! . This will be our first holiday in 7 years and I'm hoping I've not made a mistake in booking .....

Liverpool
Level Contributor
265 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Been twice to Calypso, only problem we found were inconsiderate loungers otherwise I'd go back again no bother. Always a good show on, two good pools, no complaints about the food, great al fresco, staff all nice that we met.

Don't worry about it, just enjoy yer holiday.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

A lot of poor reviews came from the end of last season just before shutdown.

Have you booked it as a package deal or part of a DIY holiday?

I think its a very good hotel but with a proviso. It has the main block above reception and a seperate block also known as the Thomson block. The Thomson block can get very noisy. If you can try and get a room in the main block, 3rd floor upwards, facing the pool. I have emailed the hotel with this request on a few occasions and they have got me in. the entertainment is usually very good and arguably the best in Salou.

Best of luck.

Edited: 21 February 2013, 23:03
edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

As martin says the bad reviews are towards the end of the season. I wouldn't just read the bad reviews but the bad reviews are usually the ones that catch your eye. I checked and last year the hotel received 26 poor reviews and 51 excellent reviews from British guests and half of the poor reviews were indeed near the end of the season. I have thought about booking this hotel myself because the entertainment is excellent. Have a look for yourself on youtube.

London, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Thank you feel a bit better now , were all inclusive with first choice which I think is also Thomson , do you have the hotels email address please ,

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
11,771 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Why did u not read the reviews first before booking your holiday, that's what TA is all about !!

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Aha... an AI package deal. I am not sure you can avoid the Thomson block but its worth a go. Email the Calypso here:- calypso@medplaya.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Thank you for the email address and I did read the reviews and I usually take things with a pinch of salt I know some people can be overly fussy , but I think I started worrying after making my booking I have read the salou forum and couldn't see any mention of the hotel

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,824 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Julie.... don't worry its a great hotel. It must have had a bad patch at the end of last season. Can happen to us all. Shame your going AI.... don't forget to have a mooch outside of the hotel.

Come out of the hotel, go left and first left. Fordys on your right.... always good for your first drink. Carry on down the road to the Carles Buigas avenue. Just before the Carles Buigas is Hollandaluz... a Dutch cafe serving some of the best ribs in town. Turn right onto Carles Buigas. Two Spanish cafes on your right. Pescalitos and Saltchi - both good for another drink. Carry on down the Carles Buigas and you will see bars and cafes on the left and right. Trad Spanish, cheesy bars, British pubs, bistros... they are all there. Just take your pick!

Have a great time.

Edited: 22 February 2013, 00:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
259 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

Thank you Martin , my husband likes to go AL for peace of mind , drinks Etc for children but we will certainly try local Spanish bars and cafes I would like to find a bit of traditional Spain

Liverpool
Level Contributor
265 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just read reviews !!!!

We go AI in Spain, ideal for our g/kids but that doesn't me you can't eat out, which we do on occasions.

As Martin has mentioned, there are some good eateries in Salou, our favourite is the Chinese Txoko, pick and eat, best we've come across, great price, brilliant.

Get answers to your questions about Salou
Recent Conversations