We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

€1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Which Salou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brum
Level Contributor
163 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
€1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Have just seen this €1 Tourist Tax (Payable to hotel reception on arrival) in a post?? Am a little confused with it so could someone please enlighten me Please as I don't want to Be Court short!! Thanks..

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

1 euro per night each and only for the first 7 nights 14 euro total under 16s don't have to pay

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Have a look at this link, it's got all the info you need: - costabravatouristguide.com/152-catalonia-tou…

Warrington, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Yes we were surprised at this tax, we went on 4th October '13 and was told it was introduced on the 1st oct and applied to the mainland only. However, we have just returned from Benidorm and nobody seems to have heard of it there!

J&C Cheshire

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Re: #3

....... because Benidorm is not in Catalonia.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Yep, that's it, the tax is applicable in Catalonia only. You'll be charged when settling your accommodation bill so don't worry.It's not 1€ flat, it depends on which type of accomodation you've booked, from 0.45€/person/night to 2.25€/person/night. The link provided by severalpolecat is self-explanatory.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

I wouldnt worry about it. The cost will be minimal. There was 6 of us, 3 of us taxable. It was definitely less than 25e. In fact it couldve been less than 20e. All I remember was that it didnt cause me any concern.

Holland, New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

This is not a Spanish tax it is only charged in Cataluña . Maybe time to vote with out feet?

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Vote with your feet with a tax of 25 euros per family for a holiday on average lasting 10 days. In that case don't go to an airport anymore as the taxes there are around 100 times higher for a similar outlay.

Give Catalonia a break ... they are only trying to balance the books after a big depression and I'd rather them take a few euros off us and keep the place in order rather than let it fall to rack and ruin like most of Greece.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

A lot of cities charge a tax, amsterdam's tax is a lot more than catalunya's I think its 5 % and I 'm pretty sure New York has a room tax or similar which is higher than that.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,545 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: €1 Spanish Tourist Tax??

Ditto MartinGAston! but also it's not only a matter of balancing the books, it's also the delicate matter of somehow compensating the residents for the use of the otherwise tax-supported public services (transportation, hospitals, urban furniture, street cleaning, etc.) As you can imagine, 15 million tourists per year passing by the city do generate quite an expensive bill on them.

And before someone starts barking about the money they spend in the city, be aware that only a small part reverts into the public coffins. But again, as mentioned before, this is a problem many cities that are as visited as much as our face, and many of them have gone a similar path, whether with direct taxing (like Barcelona) or indirect solutions (ie. discounts for residents).

I know this is a sensitive issue... but when one stops thinking about the consequences of being overwhelmingly visited, one immediately realizes it's only fair to seek some sort of compensation so to speak. My fellow Londoners or Parisians will surely understand what I mean. And again, are 1 or 2€ per day really going to spoil your holiday?