We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back from salou for our last time

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
back from salou for our last time

Well. what a great 10 days we had. Golden port salou was a lovely hotel, just lovely. All the staff were great. the entertainment staff were great. The bar staff and reception staff were great. The food was lovely, very varied, and the restaurant blokes at the entrance were the most pleasant of all.

The hotel had a nice mix of Spanish, brit, german and Russian, and everyone seemed to get on great. I played the pool basketball a number of times, and though we all couldn't understand each other, we seemed to work in synch somehow and win a couple of matches..lol.

I actually took some time, before we went, to learn several catalan phrases, and ill tell you what, it makes a difference. Only a few basic lines that I knew I would need, usually to do with buying and apologising, thanking, greeting and asking questions, rather than just the usual hola. It made ordering my food and getting stuff just that bit easier, and occasionally I may even have passed off as being a bit local with some of the bar staff...lol.

It was very busy this year and the main beach was absolutely rammed, but we always found a plot. We bought several roll mats and an umbrella, which were better than just laying your towel on the sand, and cheaper than paying for a sun lounger everyday. Really worth investing in, theyre only a few euros.

we had 9 blazing sunny days and a couple of cloudy days, but still very warm.

also seems like the aquopolis have improved the kiddie area a tad too, with some additions.

The t10 tickets were a good buy too, as were the chupa chups sweets for the theme park. In fact if you know where gabbers bar is, just across from there is a shop that sells them.

As for gabbers bar, if anyone knows gary who part owns it, and is always stood outside chatting to folk, hes a thoroughly top bloke, and a good laugh, and for that we ate at this place a couple of times, even though we was half board.

Oh ...and the uncle sams American diner was as awesome as ever for its steaks and ribs.

But after 9 years or so of salou we've decided that we will let the sun set on this brilliant place, as we feel its time to try somewhere else for the future. So this was our last time.

but for everyone else.....salou is still a brill place to go.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: back from salou for our last time

Have you got many ideas on where you are going next? Its always hard to choose the right resort especially if its a family holiday. Me and the wife like lanzarote but the kids say no every time.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
357 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: back from salou for our last time

bet you end up back in salou lol

Wales
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: back from salou for our last time

Never say never.................

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: back from salou for our last time

I said that last year and the year before that.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: back from salou for our last time

We have been three times, said our last time was the last and went to Italy this year, but I can now see us returning to salou for our next family holiday. My husband and I loved italy as did the kids but I think salou is better for a family. Familyof6 I think I remember you saying that this will be one of your last holidays with the kids, if so I can completely understand you saying you won't be back, I have so many places in mind for me and hubby to holiday when kids have flown the nest, having said that I wouldn't rule out salou at that stage for a short out of season cheap break.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,687 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: back from salou for our last time

Wherever you go have a great time. I reckon you will have a sneak back in 10 years or so. If current plans go ahead it will be a vastly different place. Adios!

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: back from salou for our last time

hmfcno1 we haven't a clue where we are going. I think we were giving thought to the idea of somewhere other than spain. I did give a thought to lanzarote though. Havent a clue to be honest, and yes swan007 our next one is without the kids. I agree though hmfcno1 and reenoz that we've been saying its our last for years and keep going back, so who knows. Ive got to admit I like the fact that we know what we are doing when in salou.

who knows. But cheers to hmfcno1, swan007, crazeedaisy, happygirl, and especially martinGaston. Even though I know salou well, the info you've been posting really was spot on.

We picked golden port based on a lot on what you all said, particularly hmfc and really really enjoyed it. All the cheap deals, T10 tickets, Chupa chups, etc etc and all the other stuff, which you'd think id have known about but didn't, really saved us a lot of money, and in turn gave us extra spending money to do stuff.

Your contribution to this forum is very valuable indeed.

kind regards

pat

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: back from salou for our last time

oops..forgot to thank ian_janice too....lol

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,418 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: back from salou for our last time

Glad to hear you had a good time in the Golden Port, I have just booked to go there next year again this will be our 3rd stay in that hotel.

Enjoy your next holiday wherever it may take you and maybe one day you will be back in Salou ;)

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: back from salou for our last time

yeah it was nice happygirl. I really felt comfortable there and loved the buffet dinners.

Get answers to your questions about Salou
Recent Conversations