We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

This is my first post on here, so please be patient with me! My husband and I would like to holiday in Salou but hubby is severely disabled after having polio at 6 weeks old. Would someone be so kind to answer the following questions?

Is Salou suitable for someone with mobility problems, ie on the flat with no steep hills?

Is there a hotel near the beach and centre of everything that you could recommend for him? He loves to be near plenty of shops! We would be looking to go Full Board.

Can you hire mobility scooters relatively easy as hubby would near one for getting about in?

So sorry for all the questions but I'm totally in the dark here. We've been going to Benidorm for past 4 years which suited our needs totally but want to be brave and try something new.

Any help you can give would really be appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

See Drac beach for mobility scooter hire

http://www.dracbeach.com/pages/i_rent.htm

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Thanks so much for your reply Happygirl, it's really appreciated! Is there any more advice you could give me?

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,994 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Drac beach will deliver direct to your hotel reception and pick up when you go home. The one end of Salou is quite hilly but as it happens the end by the main Levante beach is dead flat and next to all the shops. Good hotels at this end are the Salou Princess, Olympus Palace and Delfin Park.

Mentioned in this post
Olympus Palace
Olympus Palace
232 Reviews
Salou, Spain
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Thank you Martin, it's good of you to take the trouble to reply. Are all these hotels near the beach then? Once again, thanks I honestly appreciate all help and advice given!

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Salou is mostly flat with a long flat promenade the length of the beach going as far as the next town of Cambrils I would say a good 5 km.

If you were to go up to Portaventura that would be on an incline.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Sounds like the distance of the promenade between the new and old town in Benidorm then. That's one of my favourite things, just walking along a prom in the sunshine.

We won't be going to any theme parks for obvious reasons but hubby would love to visit Barcelona for the day as he's always wanted to go there!

Mentioned in this post
Benidorm
Benidorm
Costa Blanca, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,465 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

The H10 Europa Park which I think has recently changed its name to H10 Vintage Salou and the the Delfin Park are both central hotels.

If you are thinking of going to Barcelona have a look at Plana Bus - the local bus company they have a few different tours going to Barcelona.

www.busplana.com/new2013/excursiones.php

Mentioned in this post
H10 Vintage Salou
H10 Vintage Salou
1,403 Reviews
Salou, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Thanks again Happygirl! I've made a note of all suitable hotels and have started pricing them. I notice the Delfin is adults only which is a bit of a plus!

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Salou is very suitable as its mostly flat until you get towards the Cap Salou area. I cannot really think of much better places for disabled people to be honest. Buses may be an issue, they really didn't seem to be suited for disabled access at all. There is a train station which is accessible but I don't know how accessible the trains are and they are not that frequent.

england
Level Contributor
549 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Salou Suitable For Disabled?

Hi yes Salou is lovely just come back again and the prom is lovely. If you need transport Taxis maybe your best bet not that cheap compared with Swindon where I live but they have a lot of people carriers suitable for wheel chairs, when we were there last week it was 30eruos from airport Reus to hotel Port Aventura and because we were with a friend who had walking problems we needed taxis and they were about 8 euros for about 2/3 miles and I believe a supplement on Sundays.

Do not visit Tarragona lovely place but very hilly La Pineda where we stay as well is also very flat and has a lovely prom as well about 10mins travelling time from prom in Salou.

Hope you enjoy

sue

Mentioned in this post
Tarragona
Tarragona
Costa Dorada, Spain
La Pineda
La Pineda
Costa Dorada, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Salou