We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

Last year I stayed in Salou for a few nights at the end of May during a 10 day mini interail break. Well actually I only ended up in London, Paris, Barcelona and Salou but Salou was a great base and discovered Tarragona etc.

In September I was missing the sun and with £230 in my pocket I booked a very cheap holiday to Calella via Ferris I was pleasantly surprised by Calella. It was a lot smaller than Salou and was less night life but I found the bars and clubs that were there were much busier and livelier than Salou. I was in Salou the very last week of May, and I was in Calella the first first week of September, is the start of September usually much busier than late May?

I really want to go to back to Salou but not if it was as quite as it was when I was there the last week of May, was I just unlucky or was that a typical late May week? The weather was ok, the first three nights it was warm-hot typically around mid 20's but last day it was barely warmer than the UK.

I have thought about going back to Calella again but as a main holiday it is a bit too small but I do think it is the best resort on the Costa Brava, a lot quitier than Lloret but still plenty to do and much busier than the other resorts there.

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

Well. The hot weather is july to september, and still quite warm in october. May is kind of in the beginning of the season so the weathers at bit more up and down. Salous very busy the summer months, but ive never been earlier than July. I here saloufest is a busy time when salou is filled with partying students. I think that might be in the may or april period. Maybe you might like that. Or travel from around june onwards

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

I did think about Salou fest but I am a bit old for that :p I am in my early 30's and still go clubbing a lot but avoid student clubs like the plaque.

My problem is a lack of patience, I have been meaning to go to Italy and combine the two trips but it is quite hard to get to Salou from Italy by train (too many connections) so might see if I can do a cheap trip to Italy in April and then go to Salou later in June. All depends on money.

I think another way of asking the question is say mid June a lot busier than late May? For example I remember drinking in the Victoria at 2:00am and there was about 3 people in the entire pub.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

The first 2 weeks in September are much, much busier in Salou than anytime in May and for that matter most of June. I think May is much more like October regarding tourist numbers.

Thats why I like May..... not too hot, not too cold and not too busy but everywhere open.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

I don't think I would like Salou to be very busy, just not dead. At least I know that Salou was quite just because of the time of year though. In my case it is finding the right balance between it being fairly busy but not peak time. I don't want to spend £200 extra for it being busier. The only issue I had was the night life was dead, and it seems from the replies here it was simply because the season had not fully got into full swing yet.

I hadn't realised September was still busy because my holiday with Ferris was stupidly cheap.

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

Some kids are still on there summer holidays in late august early september but in may the season has just started no kids holidays. So yes may will be quiet compared to early september

uk
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

How about staying in cambrils. Its a lovely town. Very pleasant. And a good base to go to and from salou. Get the busy of salou and back to the relaxing cambrils, all in a short bus ride.

How about sitges. Not so much a tourist resort like salou, but has a reasonably good nightlife. Also has a large gay crowd which generally makes for a good nightlife crowd.

But if you're really wanting salou then id say September's a good time. Weather will be great. Booking prices cheaper. Still very lively.

But also. When folk say salou is busiest mid summer, thats not suggesting chaotic and cramped. No, just more lively, but not uncomfortably so.

Edited: 12 March 2014, 04:57
7. Re: That time of year again and thinking about revisiting Salou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 05:28
Get answers to your questions about Salou
Recent Conversations