We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Hi,

We are contemplating booking a private apartment in Salou this summer for a change and organising flights and transfers seperately rather than going through a Thomson/Thomas Cook package holiday as we have always done in the past.

Has anyone any advice on which sites to book through (or ones best avoided) for the accommodation and flights please ?

Best to go through a company that books the flights and accommodation all at the same time, or book an apartment and then book the flights seperately?

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,189 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

The other way round !

Always book your flight first.

Once that is booked you can always find accommodation. But you may find no seats or flights available for the dates you have booked accommodation.

Also , if using a low cost carrier --- I have always found Ryanair excellent to Reus airport --- book the flight directly with the airline and not through an agent.

Just my opinion. Have done it several times.

Graham

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

I would book separately. Your profile suggest you are in Staffs. You therefore have a choice of East Midlands, Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester airports. Look at Ryanair and Jet2 for flights to Reus for the best deal.

For the apartment or villa the two biggest and best websites are:-

www.homeaway.co.uk

www.holidaylettings.co.uk

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Liverpool
Liverpool
Merseyside, UK
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Thanks for both of your quick and very useful replies.

Are there always plenty of taxi's waiting outside Reus airport or do the shuttle buses leave quite regularly ( or do they have to wait for several flights to arrive until they are quite full before departing) ?

Been a couple of years since we last visited Salou, due to hubby's health, so looking fowards to (hopefully) visiting again in a few months time now he's been given the go-ahead to fly :-)

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

* There are plenty of airport taxis outside the airport or you can order a private transfer to Salou. Private transfers tend to be cheaper. Email salouvilla@yahoo.co.uk for a quote.

* Shuttle buses normally wait until a batch of planes have arrived. If there is only one arrival the bus will leave after this. They drop off in Salou in somewhat of a random manner depending on who is staying where on the bus. You could be lucky and be first so transfer time will be circa 20 minutes but you could be last and it be closer to an hour. All depends how many are on the bus. If time is important to you get a taxi/transfer.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Thanks Martin, looks like the private transfer would be the better option. Failing that , a taxi .

(Always my worst nightmare going round and round a resort feeling sick on the coach whilst dropping everyone else off first )

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,189 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

The ordinary Plana bus doesn`t wait for several flights and goes straight to Salou dropping off as it goes through town and on to Cambrills.

Always found the service good.

Graham

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Thanks

At least now I know I've got several options for the transfer transport (.Just found the Plana website and put some dates in to try it out but it was playing up for me tonight. )

Will e-mail the private hire to get a quote.

Amazing seeing the price difference in Jet2 and Thomsons Airways flights from the same airport at more or less the same times. Jet 2 was £89 each. Thomsons a whopping £309 each !

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Finding one apartment I look the look of, I notice that as well as the price quoted it also says 'plus taxes and fees ' with no more information on them at this point.

Are these extra costs normally paid up front or would I be hit by these when arriving in the resort and around how much should I be expecting to have to budget for if the apartment price originally quotes around £700?

I know a local Salou tax has been introduced in the last couple of years, would this be an extra tax to that?

Don't want to suddenly find I'm paying hundreds more than originally expected.

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,990 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Apartment owners are obliged to pay the same tax to the Catalan administration as the hotels charge upon arrival. Most of them roll in these taxes into the rental agreement and do not charge the tax on arrival.

Ask the apartment owner for a fixed final price including all taxes, fee's and any breakage deposit.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on booking private apartments ,flights please?

Thanks , will do :-)

Get answers to your questions about Salou