We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

term time holiday's

huddersfield
Level Contributor
65 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
term time holiday's

pay the fine or pretend the kids are sick? i ask as im on block holiday's at work so my weeks off fall whenever.....just like to know what others who are in the same boat

Manchester...
Level Contributor
79 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: term time holiday's

I just ring up say there ill will be doing it later this year again !

Aston
Destination Expert
for Salou, Costa Dorada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: term time holiday's

I think it depends how many kids you have and are they all at the same school/class etc.

Also some schools seem to be more lenient than others..... yet another moving target.

Am not in favor of this law myself so good luck.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
60 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: term time holiday's

i took my son out of school for a week in November & didn,t get fined,but for the odd day i usually ring in being sick.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,969 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: term time holiday's

It`s a ridiculous law.

I read in the paper that a headmaster had been given several weeks off to go to India to get married , Doesn`t seem like a level playing field does it ?

The problem with claiming illness is that your children will return to school tanned with sunshine and not pale , pastey and sickly looking.

Might give the game away,

Graham

edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: term time holiday's

I think a 60 pound fine per child is a bargain just make sure if you do get fined that you pay the fine or they double it. No such fine in Scotland but you can go to jail. but unlikely unless you take them out on numerous occasions and even then you would get a warning.

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
266 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: term time holiday's

It's £60 per child per parent, ie a family of four get four fines, however, yes it is still a bargain. However it's the principle that really annoys me, how dare they dictate to us? And if they did their job properly and made the schools stagger their holidays like other countries do then there wouldn't be such a sharp rise in prices at peak times.

Level Contributor
153 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: term time holiday's

We are booked for the 31st aug my son is 7. Was considering ringing in sick for him but didn't want him to have to lie when he went back so I drafted a very articulate letter to his head teacher saying I understood the importance of his education but also at 7 the vital importance of family time ( we are taking his 3 grown up sisters and their boyfriends too) I'm jut waiting for a reply. Even if they say no and fine us paying the fine for 1 child of £120 is still cheaper than paying the extra £550 it was going to cost me to go less than a week earlier.

I say fine the holiday companies for their extortionate prices. Fine the teacher who go on strike but don't penalise parents for wanting to spend valuable time and experiences with their children. It's not as if he's sitting exams I wouldn't dream of disrupting his education if he were older but what's he going to miss a few spelling and sums. I can do these on the plane.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,969 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: term time holiday's

Andrea.

The authorities should think how travel is the best education.

Children learn from travel --- a bit of geography , maybe learn a few words of the language .

Also meeting people from other countries and cultures make for more tolerance .

Graham

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: term time holiday's

As a teacher, I would say fine, however write a letter stating you get designated holidays which you can not change, therefore you have no way of a family holiday otherwise. I do know that some authorities are more lenient than others and that as long as you are not a regular absentee from school then a fine won't be issued. Hope this helps!!!

Wirral
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: term time holiday's

Isn't this a terrible situation! Many families, to be able to go away together, need to take their holidays in term time as like many have stated, the prices are ridiculous in the 6 weeks holiday and also parents can be locked into stipulated weeks by employers.

Ok make us pay an 'absent' nominal fee, but not what is being charged.

I would agree to a certain extent about phoning them in sick, but as previously mentioned, the poor children have to deal with things on their return to school, so wouldn't really put this responsibility onto them.

A politician some months ago made a comment

'We have to stop these parents taking children out of school term time for CHEAP holidays'

Well why don't they do something in stopping the travel companies charging extortionate prices term break time.

This also applies to families holidaying in this country, and half of the time it is cheaper to go abroad.

I'm glad my kids are now adults, but I do feel for my grandchildren being affected.