We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fairfx cards- help please.

Level Contributor
328 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Fairfx cards- help please.

So we are going to use the fairfx card in salou. Few things that worry me and hoping someine can clear things up.

Are there any hidden fee's?

If you load your card with extra can you get your money back?

Is it more of less like a bank card where I can just switch everything?

Any help is appreciated, may seem like silly questions but me being someone whos only just heard of these card a few weeka ago I am curious.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

The Fairfax card is one of the two best pre paid cards.

The other one is the Caxton fx card.

ate.

They are both safe to use and reliable/

Any funds left on them can be returned to your bank account although the re - exchange rate will be slightly less than when you load the card.

I know there are NO fees with the Caxton . Not sure about the Fairfax but I am sure a user will come on and reassure you.

Enjoy Salou.

Graham

Both of these cards give a good exchange r

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
10,002 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

Excuse the "ate " in the middle ------- bad typing.

Graham

Level Contributor
328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

Ha thank you. My only reasoning for the fairfx card is that it was highest on the money saving expert site. Caxton one sounds good too. Does it do exactly the same?

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

The fairfx card is widely accepted, it carries the MasterCard logo and can be used anywhere that accepts MasterCard. I have not yet come across anywhere that doesn't accept it. You can also use it to withdraw cash at atms. There is no charge for paying in-store but there is a €1.50 charge for withdrawals at atms.

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

The Caxton card is the same idea, however you do not get charged a withdrawal fee with the Caxton card. I have used Caxton over the last 2 years and I am very happy with it, never had any problems trying to use it anywhere.

Level Contributor
328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

Thats strange that fairfx came up first then when you consider things such as atm withdrawels. Think I may have to reconsider.

Level Contributor
328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

Ah it days no fees but not as good exchange rate compared with the fairfx but even then it would work out the same considering if I do withdraw cash it will cost me each time.

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

I think the main benefit with the Fairfx card is the minimum load is only €60 compared to the Caxton which is €150.

Level Contributor
328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

See I think we will have to much so wouldn't really be a concern in that sense, do I lose out on a fair bit on money if I exchange it back to pound. Sorry for all the questions, you seem to know what your talking about lol

Inverness, United...
Destination Expert
for Salou
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fairfx cards- help please.

There seems to be a couple of options if you have money left on the card. I have taken the information below from the fairfx website - hope this helps.

If you wish to withdraw your money we generally recommend that you do so via any ATM that accepts MasterCard. This is often the cheapest way to withdraw your money as long as the amount isn't too high as you only pay €1.50 plus the 1.4% out of currency fee for the € cards. The exchange rate is the MasterCard wholesale rate.

If you have a large amount of funds left on your card it may work out cheaper to refund it through FairFX.

You can also spend the remaining money back here in the UK at shops and restaurants to use up the funds left on the card. You will be charged 1.4% on all point of sale transactions.

If you prefer the money in one lump sum, we will arrange for some or all of the available funds on your FairFX Card to be refunded to you. We can transfer the money to you and you can still keep the card for future use. There is a £10 refund fee on the Euro and Dollar card or 1.4% on the anywhere card (subject to a minimum of £10.

Get answers to your questions about Salou
Recent Conversations