We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hilly and distance from airport?

UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hilly and distance from airport?

Hi, could anyone tell me the driving time (or taxi transfer time) from the airport to Porta Pollensa, Alcudia, Calador and Santa Ponsa? When I have looked it up I get variations from 1 hr to 1 and half hrs to the first ones and half an hour to one and quarter hours to Santa Ponsa.

Also, are any of these resorts hilly (cant do hilly walks, health problems).

Thanks for your help.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

Hi well I can tell you about Santa Ponsa. In a taxi, the quickest I have got from the airport has been 20 minutes, but realistically you are looking at half an hour.

The centre of the resort is flat, along the sea front, but the rest of the resort is very hilly, so may not be the best choice for you, although it is the shortest transfer time as it is closest to the airport.

UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

Thanks for the information on Santa Ponsa. When you say the centre of the resort is flat but the rest very hilly, can you elaborate. How much is there in the centre of the resort? Is it very little and is the majority on the hilly bits?

Thanks

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

Lots of shops and bars in the centre so in theory you could spend a holiday just there. But you would be missing out on the entertainment in the square unless you got a taxi there, and some of the better bars and restaurants are also on the slopes.

Some hotels in the centre and some up steep hills, it all depends what you want.

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

I was recently in Santa Ponsa and wrote a review of the hotel I stayed in and mentioned the suitability for those who had mobility issues, whither young or old with prams or wheelchairs, the flatter part is ideal and has enough going on and variety of places and right on the beach that you could spend all your time there.

This is really where Santa Ponsa started all those years ago and over time expanded up the hill side towards El Torro and Cost De La Calma.

I wouldn't worry to much as the main roads have gentle inclines within the limits of what you would call the "town centre". I would encourage you to try and visit what they call "the square" this is up a steep hill and I would suggest that you get a taxi. It is not expensive. You will be able to find a flyer before you go and pick the night that the entertainment suits you the best.

Porta Pollensa, Alcudia, Cala Dor are all to the east and the north of the island and can take a considerable time to get to depending on the transport. Could take well over an hour and some very adventurous roads.

Have a great time.

David

UK
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

Thanks for the information David. I was just about to give up on Majorca as it seems a long transfer to the North and the East. I was looking for a resort nearer to the airport. As you say, can always get a taxi to "The square" up the hill if most of the resort is down by the beach. The "adventurous roads" sounds interesting, probably best not have a hire car then?

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

Please don't give up on Mallorca. It is a beautiful island.

If you are unsure about the longer transfer times to the north and east then the south and west is by far the easiest to get to from the airport with the "new" ring road round Palma,

The part of the island has Palma De Mallorca a cathedral city with beautiful architecture some fantastic shops a waterfront to compete with Monaco and a cosmopolitan atmosphere.

Lovely resorts, I'd recommend Santa Ponsa, and short manageable journeys to some of the best untouched villages.

Why do you think so many wealthy people have chosen this corner of the island over the years. Kirk Douglas, Richard Branson to name but two and that well know composer Chopin all resided here.

I hope you saw my comment on Port d' Andratx see pics http://on.fb.me/Port-d-Andratx

Mallorca is more than just sun and beaches.

David

Gourock, United...
Level Contributor
3,507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

Should have added this sooner. Santa Ponsa is available in Google Street View see this link http://bit.ly/maps-SP the scenes appear to have been captures early in the morning and out of season so don't think that it is just as quiet at it looks.

David

8. Re: Hilly and distance from airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 08:19
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ponsa
Recent Conversations