We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reptiles in Mallorca?

Which Santa Ponsa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Reptiles in Mallorca?

As a self confessed lizard/tortoise enthusiast, we're going to book for Mallorca and need suggestions of where... Porta Pollenca looks quiet but a long way from Dragonera Island in the south and we use public transport. Santa Ponsa has been recommended as a base but has anyone seen lizards and/or tortoises in the vicinity outskirts? Menorca had tortoises but limited lizards and a lovely island. Anyone out there like wildlife with suggestions> thanks Jo

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Reptiles in Mallorca?

There are lots of Geckos, of course.

It would be difficult to miss them - anywhere on the island. Often in the daytime, but evenings they come out in droves. We've had as many as 20 or 30 on the terrace at night sometimes. Wonderful creatures.

Normally we see tortoises in late summer - August / September. We have a few large ones that seem to end up in the garden every year. I reckon they are everywhere.

There are a lot of wild peacocks and other unique birds, if that interests you.

Anywhere in the mountains or in the campo would render a wide variety of wildlife. Also, take a trip to the Albufera wetlands near Alcudia... LOTS of wildllife there (and generally an interesting place to visit).

Enjoy..

Walsall, United...
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reptiles in Mallorca?

Also Santa Ponsa has hundreds of parrots!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reptiles in Mallorca?

Thank you very much for such a swift reply to my post. Our hol will be in Sept and you have convinced me I shall see something interesting. many thanks Jo

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reptiles in Mallorca?

Please do make the journey to Dragonera, there are regular boat trips with a stop on the island, but your time that way is limited. Another way to visit would be bus to Port Andraxt, then bus to Sant Elm, and the ferry to Dragonera. Be aware there are no shops on the island so take lots of water with you, and a snack if you're going to be there a while.

The place is literally crawling with tiny lizards, absolutely fascinating to see.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reptiles in Mallorca?

I had made a note of it which is why I plan to stay south of the island and not up north which would be too far for a day trip. Many thanks for your advice Jo

6. Re: Reptiles in Mallorca?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ponsa