We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

We go back and forward to Spain a couple of times a year for holidays and know Mallorca well, having been over 20 times, but only ever staying in the Bay of Palma twice when I was young free and single many years ago. Our lads are 16 and 14 and get bored with the more 'spanish' places as they dont meet kids their own age (although both speak some or reasonable spanish), whereas my wife and I prefer holidaying in towns that dont have any or only a few british/ irish bars? Is Santa Ponca somewhere where the lads will meet people their own age whilst mum and dad can still eat mallorquin/ spanish food etc or should we look elsewhere? We have stayed many times in both Soller and Pollenca, but fancied being nearer Palma this time, as we have friends living there?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

With your requirements I would say Santa Ponsa is probably not right for you. There are a lot of British and Irish bars, and although you can get Mallorquin food, the majority of places cater to a more international taste.

Having said that, if you visit at Fiesta time (1st week in September this year) you will find the resort has a much more Spanish feel to it, as the fiesta is a local event with lots of local food, parades and entertainment. But much as I love Santa Ponsa, I would hate for you to be disappointed.

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

Thanks Annabelle, where would you suggest in the Bay of Palma? We are not snobs, just regular visitors to Spain that are looking for the best of both worlds. Pollensa gives you that but is wrong side of the island?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

It's a difficult one, as your requirements are polar opposites.

To be honest, if you liked Soller, then I would go for there again. Although not in your preferred location, transport links are good and you can be in Palma quite quickly on the bus.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

What about Palma itself? Whenever we go to Mallorca now we always fit in a few days in Palma and we love it. Our daughter and her partner (early 20s) spent a week there last August in an apartment off Calle Apuntadores and they really enjoyed it.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

Palma Nova is good and there's also El Arenal down that way. Santa Ponsa as a resort is fine but it's very touristy. There's the "square" which has a stage set in the middle with lots of bars so you can sit and have a few drinks and watch the entertainment from pretty much any of them. At the top (small) roundabout turning right there's the Irish quarter with lots of bars etc predominantly younger crowds go there and at the bottom roundabout (the big one) it's a bit quieter with a few bars and restaurants. I'd perhaps suggest looking at the two others mentioned, bit more of a mix of people and nightlife.

6. Re: Santa Ponca - Is it right for us?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Santa Ponsa
Recent Conversations