We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

Which Playa del Ingles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

With all the news on the tv about Thomas Cook struggling hope my hols ok for beginning of Feb

surrey
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

Hopefully by then things will be sorted out one way or the other, We are in the same boat although our holiday isn't until June :o)

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

As Thomas Cook is fully ABTA bonded your money is safe if anything happens before you travel and if you are abroad ABTA will arrange transport home etc.

Teeside
Level Contributor
244 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

I think Thomas Cook will be ok

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

It is important never to rely on advice in these forums. Whilst much may be accurate and all is well meaning you really should get as much as you can from the press and TV if you can't from a travel agent. There is no comeback for wrong advice received here so check and then check again.

And have a good Holiday

Mogan, Spain
Level Contributor
742 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

Totaly agree with you Manzana.

This reminds me of the scottish one GLOBESPAN lots of news in the press and on tv how they were struggling financialy, But everyone thinking they are such a big company that all will be ok. suddenly overnight they went.

Might sound terrible but when your hard worked for holiday is at stake, and your money ,you have to think for yourself and protect yourself.

The big men at the top never suffer, its you the little man that always does, even if you get your money back its a headache and sleepless nights and re booking, thats if you can still get the dates you want anywhere.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

The worst place for advice in this country is from the press or a travel agent! The press are doing all the scaremongering which is making Thomas Cooks position even worse!

Lesley

IF Thomas Cook fails, and I don't think it will, if you have booked a package holiday through a travel agent or a package direct from their website, your money is completely safe. They are ATOL bonded and if anything happened while you were away, the CAA would arrange alternative flights home for you. If they failed before you travelled, you would get a full refund from their ATOL bond. If you paid by credit card you are covered under Section 75 so would be able to claim off your card provider.

Fingers crossed it won't come to that, as it is looking like a major restructuring may be taking place.

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,099 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

>>>if you have booked a package holiday through a travel agent or a package direct from their website, your money is completely safe. They are ATOL bonded and if anything happened while you were away, the CAA would arrange alternative flights home for you. If they failed before you travelled, you would get a full refund from their ATOL bond. If you paid by credit card you are covered under Section 75 so would be able to claim off your card provider.<<<

Great advice about not believing everything you read on forums however, the above information regarding both Credit Cards and Package holidays, is good. If however you have booked just flights and used a DEBIT card you can still claim your money back through the chargeback scheme. You will not get anything until your flight does not take place but once that happens your account will be refunded via Visa.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

That is true, but with a Visa debit chargeback there isn't equal liability. Claims must be addressed to the bank that provides your debit card, which in turn will put in a request to the merchant's bank. As a result, you could still get your money back from the merchant's bank if the money is there to be recovered. However, there are no guarantees that your bank will be able to recover the money through chargeback.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

I have paid for my hols in cash so would they just give me the cash back straight away not goin to stress about it

Edited: 24 November 2011, 19:00
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,952 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hope with the news on about Thomas Cook my hols is ok

If you've booked a holiday covered under the Atol bond you would get a refund in cash, but it won't be straight away.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Ingles