We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pdi or tenerife

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
pdi or tenerife

hi never been to GC or Tenerife.what one would be best for a middle aged couple in febuary for the weather,we like the beach, not too rowdy and nice cheap places to eat. We usaualy go to egypt alinclusive but fancy trying something new.

west midlands
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pdi or tenerife

big fan of pdi loads to do look on the top 20 things to do and search forums

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pdi or tenerife

Not many replies because it is an impossible question.

Either island will almost certainly give you sunshine even in the much maligned North. Getting away from the big resorts will sort out the rowdy bit but nice cheap restaurants may be harder. I would have suggested Puerto Mogan for Gran Canaria, sunny, not too busy but I am not sure the restaurants would be cheap.For them I would suggest Puerto Rico but that is pretty horrible in places. Maspalomas and Meloneras are not rowdy and Maspalomas particularly has cheap restaurants where the food is standard OK but may be lacking atmosphere. Playa del Ingles has cheap restaurants but there are rowdy bits although much of it isn't.

I don't know Tenerife very well, it has been a while but I will head for Puerto de la Cruz when I go again. I imagine those who know it better will fill you in on the South.

Mentioned in this post
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Maspalomas
Maspalomas
Gran Canaria, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pdi or tenerife

Both islands (actually.. Lanzarote as well) are great in February. We hadn't ever been to the Canaries before but because we knew the weather was usually warm enough for sunbathing we chose Gran Canaria in January of 2009, PDI and we enjoyed it. We used the Riu Waikiki Hotel which was about 20 minutes walk to the beach and the plaza with lots of bars etc, you can walk along to Maspalomas from here as well. For entertainment the Yumbo center is more a shopping complex by day and then lots of bars by night. It does have a large gay scene at night but there's plenty bars to choose from. There's also the Kasbah centre which again is full of bars, restaurants etc Trips to go on include the Sioux City trip which is a great for a night out.

We didn't go away in winter the following year but we decided to go to the Canaries again, this time Tenerife in February of 2011 and once more we thoroughly enjoyed it. The resort we chose was Costa Adeje, the hotel we used was the Dream Villa Tagoro which is set over the other side of the motorway, next time we're going to a hotel closer to the beach. The resort is not far from the other main resorts of Los Cristianos and Playa de las Americas, taxi's from Costa Adeje were very cheap, around a few euros. Playa de las Americas is quite lively and at night there are some lovely restaurants, bars etc to go to, Los Cristianos a little quieter but all three resorts are about 15/20 minute between them. Costa Adeje is slightly hillier but it has a lovely feel about it with some good bars and shops. We are in fact going back to Costa Adeje in February of 2013, the Fanabe Costa Sur hotel, never been here but relly like the sound of it. There's trips to Siam Park and Loro Parque in the North and Mount Teide among others.

I know you didn't post about this one but also Lanzarote was wonderful in February of 2012! Puerto del Carmen, terrific resort and the hotel we used was the Riu Paraiso in Playa de los Pocillos which is in between PDC and Matagorda. We visited other resorts here as well like Costa Teguise and Playa Blanca. From PB you can also get a ferry over to Fuerteventura which was good and something different, Puerto Calero does a submarine trip and of course there's Timinfaya national Park. This island offers something different to GC or Tenerife although it is pretty windy in comparison but still nice and pleasant in winter. I can't wait to get away to the sun in winter again so any island you choose will be very enjoyable but they are pleasantly different to each other.

Probably not helped your decision much but at least you get a few ideas on what to expect from the wonderful Canaries.

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Maspalomas
Maspalomas
Gran Canaria, Spain
Kasbah
Kasbah
526 Reviews
Gran Canaria, Spain
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
Costa Teguise
Costa Teguise
Lanzarote, Spain
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Fuerteventura
Fuerteventura
Canary Islands, Spain
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
419 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pdi or tenerife

Thanks for your valued info it helps to get a feel for some places if you never been.I know everyone has different views but different ideas are good. We do like the bars and people watching, so it would be ok to go somewhere with bars and to meet up with other people.I may be 50 but do like the atmosphere of bars and pubs oh and a few shots lol.I think GC sounds good.

The reason i asked for cheap is because im not sure if alinclusive would be best, but i feel your trapped in a little by this as we like the beach.

Thanks again for your help and thank goodness for TA

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pdi or tenerife

As i say, it doesn't matter what island you pick, they are all terrific in their own ways. The only thing i didn't like about Gran Canaria was the african women who approach you near the beach all the timeto "wish you good luck" palm read and while they do.. stick a piece of string (cotton or wool possibly) as bracelets then ask for money. If they didn't get it they would sometimes take the strings back but others would approach you as you walked along. A firm "NO!" and the get the message in the end! There's also a scratch-card scam where young touts offer them for free but you can almost guarrantee you'll have a winning card, they then want to take you to collect your win but it's a time-share scam, just tell them to go away and they get the message. This was of course back in January of 2009 so it might be different now, others that have been more recently would possibly know better than me but at least if you do go there and they are still around you are aware of them.

Mentioned in this post
Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria
Canary Islands, Spain
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,915 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pdi or tenerife

Oops! Meant to say... All-Inclusive can be great if you want to go with a specific budget in mind but there are lots of nice eateries around and they're competitively priced. A.I. might be fine in the white hot heat of summer when you constantly need drinks to keep cool but although you'll probably get nice warm sunny weather (with a wee bit rain thrown in) it's not boiling hot so no need for as many drinks to re-hydrate. B&B or self-catering could be a better choice if you like exploring around.

west midlands
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pdi or tenerife

big fan of pdi,was there last march and yes those african women are still there,,you see with us brits we dont stand it over here,so when we are abroad why do we fall for it,i,d say more than a polite no,anyway we are going all inclusive march 2013 my 50th, birthday treat, and have paid 757 each for 3* which i think is a good price as self catering can be expensive if you are on a budget, unless you book flights seperate and do your homework,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and yes i love pdi.

8. Re: pdi or tenerife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2013, 10:17
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Ingles