We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few questions

Which Playa del Ingles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
a few questions

i have never been to gran canaria before and was wondering if it is a safe place for a solo female traveler to go? also been looking at accommodation and possibly choosing between corona roja and corona blanca - any advise which one would be better? would like near supermarket and nightlife. what would the weather be like from 26th august? any other advise appreciated. thanks.

King's Lynn, United...
Level Contributor
128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few questions

When we went (three couples) we were hassled quite a lot by bar works and to buy things which was really annoying we were lucky to have a 6ft6 guy with us who'd firmly tell them where to go and they would back down. It is very annoying and don't know how you'd get along on your own? It's a nice place but it's a shame with all this going on but I suppose they have to make a living

bournemouth
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few questions

hi caroline

im 58 solo female traveller to GC about 30ish times now

always remember my 1st visit years age (with then partner and his 2 sons) . he booked it . never let him do so again.

he booked corona roja in PDI . where to start? at that time a lot of apartments were privately owned . noisy and a bit nasty . groups of 18 - 20 holiday co too. total nightmare . its the 1st hotel you see when you reach PDI . a massive concrete monstrosity . please don't

Anyways not sure PDI is really the place for solo female (i personally have never been back)

Would suggest you look further round the coast . start at maspalomas (tho bit far out) move on thro arguinguin to patalvaca to puerto rico and thro to puerto mogan . have stayed in all of these and never had any problems . always use the local global buses . great way to see the island and cheap and safe

have you thought of booking private apartments (owners direct . holiday lettings etc) i do that all the time now and have only ever been disappointed with accommodation when ive booked hotels . def private for me

i hope you have a great time

ps im scottish too beith in ayrshire . guess were all born with the travel bug lol lol

Edited: 01 February 2014, 16:06
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few questions

Hi Caroline.

Ditto, 57 and usually a solo traveller. Only tried P/Rico once and it wasn't for me. Too busy during the evening/night, hassle from staff trying to get you to eat at their restaurant, (In your face too much!) Looky looky men coming to your table while you eat, trying to sell you tat and Chinese women doing same. Nice beach area, but that was all I found to like. Mogan, about 10 minutes drive away is totally different. A quieter resort and far more laid back. No hassle at all. Lovely small beach, marina/harbour, lovely boat trips make a nice afternoon out, not too many shops but enough to browse, loads of café/restaurants to suit every pocket and two large s/markets plus a few small ones. Market day is Friday, if you like that sort of thing. The bars do tend to close around midnight but there are a couple that stay open till 2AM-ish. Depends what sort of a holiday you're looking for I suppose.

Edited: 01 February 2014, 16:27
Ireland
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few questions

Oh ye gods! I've made myself THREE years older than I am!!!!! Huh???

LOL :-D

bournemouth
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few questions

lol well done canarytime!!

would strongly agree with you about PM . my favourite place on earth . would / will move in a moment . its heaven

just didnt want to influence too much lol think i just havr aaawws well

caroline it is actually the perfect place solo . no hassle no nasties no looky lookies just peace and the beautiful beach

from the bus statio in PM you can easily and cheaply travel all over the island

oooohhh and the ferry trips are a must

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a few questions

thanks for your replies. very much appreciated.

bournemouth
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a few questions

hey caroline please come back and let us know where you choose . we solo travellers need as much help as poss . and that only comes from each other . in my experience solo holiday companies and all the others see us a big huge ripoff

good luck good holiday times ahead

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a few questions

i will keep you posted. just looking at different places at the moment - also considering lanzarote. i went to tenerife by myself last year, so know what you mean about the hassle from people trying to sell you rubbish. meant more in terms of safety as in going to pubs by myself and walking home late at night alone.

bournemouth
Level Contributor
187 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a few questions

hi again

PM is the safest place i have ever been . i have never had any worries no matter the time

worst places ive been (and not alone at the time) were egypt (with other half) and tunisia (with girl friend)

hope that helps a bit.more

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a few questions

If you want PDI, and why not? I would look the other side of town. There are lots of privately owned apartments on and around Avda Tirajana and between the Yumbo Centrum and the Eugenia Victoria Hotel. There are lots of hotels too. This is an area where hassle seems absent and ther is lots to do, the Yumbo has a reputation for being gay and whilst it is very gay I know a lot of straight women have found it a safe and friendly place to go to where there is lots happening. Straight men go there too as well as bisexuals so you never know.

I would avoid the Corona side because I think the Kasbah attracts a younger raucous crowd and it is one of the few places in the world I have seen drugs and prostitutes offered so obviously.

Your picture makes you look quite young and I like Puerto Mogan, I just don't see you there somehow. Still you should do a day trip at least and suss it out for a future visit to the island. You really are unlikely to go to GC once!

Temperatures in August will be very high. I would expect you to find a few days around 40 and if the calima is blowing it has been known to hit 50. An important point if you go for a privately rented flat. Not many have air conditioning because August is not high season there.

Get answers to your questions about Playa del Ingles