We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace Maspalomas area

Which Playa del Ingles hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Palace Maspalomas area

I have just booked a cheap last minute deal to this hotel for myself and my 15 year old daughter. Very nervous as this is my first time as a lone (female) parent traveller. Having read some of the reviews I realise that this is probably not the best hotel for us as there do not seem to be many families who stay here. However, we wanted somewhere quiet and pretty to just chill out without loads of screaming kids. If we decide to venture out of the hotel in the evening, where are the best safe places to visit nearby and is there anything within walking distance.

england
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Palace Maspalomas area

This hotel is high quality and will look after you very well. There is no daytime entertainment programme but if you just want to chill out it should be fine. There is a promenade alongside ok for walking along in the daytime, but not really in the evening. The nearest commercial centre to walk to for shops is the Cita about 10 mins, but its a bit run down and half empty. The next nearest is the Yumbo about 25 mins which is livelier and fun and as far as I know quite safe to walk to along the well lit main road. There is a small supermarket just outside the hotel for supplies. You would probably be better off in the evening (once at least) getting a taxi to nearby Maspalomas/Meloneras - ask for the Faro, will only cost a few euros. Much newer development with plenty of upmarket shops and restaurants/bars and a nice busy well lit prom.

Manchester, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Palace Maspalomas area

I envy you, when we stay in Playa del ingles it is always on the Avenida De Tirjana and to get to the beach we would go past the main entrance and would turn to my partner and say, one day, when we can afford it I want to stay here, as previous poster said, can be very quiet in the evening at this end of the street but there is a taxi rank outside the hotel if you care to venture further away.

CHESTERFIELD
Level Contributor
489 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Palace Maspalomas area

Hi,

I agree that you visit Meloneras during your stay and if you could have a meal at one of the very nice restaurants along the Boulevard el Faro I'm sure you would enjoy it very much. All the restaurants are situated along the lovely pristinely kept promenade and have fantastic sea views. There are varied cuisines but the Chino Canton Chinese, the Mexican/Japanese fusion Sushi Mex and Italian, Grand Italia are all good. If you go to Sushi Mex try the chicken goyza starter they are to die for and the restaurant is happy for you to share dishes.

The area is also very safe, you will not see any larger louts and the regular police patrols keep undesirables out of the resort.

The only problem with visiting Meloneras is you may well not want to leave!!

Regards

Gill

Edited: 22 July 2014, 14:40
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,498 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Palace Maspalomas area

The other problem is that you need to pass the dunes, walk along the beach or take a taxi. Taxi is a short, affordable ride.

i cannot recommend to eat such food when traveling to Spain, but it is a question of your preferences.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Palace Maspalomas area

Thanks for your replies. We had a lovely time at the Riu Palace Maspalomas and I could not fault the hotel. I took your advice and we got a taxi to and Meloneras one night and it was very nice. All in all it was a fab holiday but to be honest we didnt leave the hotel much as it was so good. Next time I would like to stay in Meloneras.

6. Re: Riu Palace Maspalomas area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Playa del Ingles