We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mosquitos

scotland
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
mosquitos

hi all

can anyone tell me if tenerife is suffering from loads of mosquitos that other european resorts are having at the moment.i am travelling to vulcano hotel,las americas at the beginning of october.dont want holiday spoilt by these little blitters

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
917 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mosquitos

I don't know whether the situation is any different at the moment but in January thro to March we stayed in Parque Santiago 1 which is not that far from the Vulcano and I was bitten regularly despite the electric plug ins and mozzie spray. But then they didn't bother my husband half as much!

If you have a good look around your room last thing and zap any you can see lying in wait on the ceiling or high up on the walls (usually) you shouldn't be bothered too much as long as you also use mozzie spay/lotion or plug ins. If you do get stung though you can get some excellent anti histamine cream from the pharmacia which worked very well for me in controlling the itching.

Have a good holiday and don't worry too much!

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
17,544 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mosquitos

Hi Starkyman

I saw your OP earlier today but got involved with something else before I had a chance to answer. Earlier I would have said, there are few if any because if they were around they hone in on me.

Good job I didn´t answer then because I have just come in from sitting on the patio and I´ve had 4 bites so had to dig out the Áfter Bite´to stop the itching. So whether there are loads or I was just unlucky I don´t know but as the saying goes >>>they are out there<<<

dorset
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: mosquitos

Hi Starkyman,

Have you tried "Don't bite me patches" You buy them on the internet and my husband and I usually get loads of bites but we've used them on our last 2 holidays and they have been great. We used them on my 2 year old daughter as well. My parents were with us and they go loads of bites but I wasn't bitten at all and my husband got 2 in 9 days. You apply one patch every 36 hours (more often I think if you smoke, drink loads or if you are a big build.) You are best to put one on before you fly then it's in your system before you land.

We're off to Tenerife in October too and will certainly be using them,

Hope this helps,

Claire

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mosquitos

Jungle formula wipes after a shower work very very well for me. Never been bitten since Majorca 1997, sorry that should have read been eaten since Majora 1997!!

Nantwich
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mosquitos

Skin So Soft from Avon is brilliant the green bottle.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto de la Cruz, Weston-super-Mare, Tenerife
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mosquitos

Well plenty of advice there. We always buy a local room spray, and spray into the corners of the rooms before we leave. Cloce the bedroom pario doors before dark, like moths they are atracted to the electric light. They also like the smell of some perfumes, which is why more women are bitten than men. So leave it off, when you go out.

glenboig
Level Contributor
113 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: mosquitos

yo there

what is the best remedy for the dreaded MOZZY?

i see there are plenty of solutions on this site,

but i am not going to buy them all, we are only allowed so much luggage, lol.

If there is a MOZZY about it will seek me out, believe me it will. I have tried plug ins, avon, other products, and having a look around the room at night and killing them. but the old eyes go when I have vad a few to many, and cannot see them, lol

please let us know what is the best.

Yours

Trigger

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
906 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: mosquitos

Jungle formula for me!!

jersey
Level Contributor
215 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: mosquitos

unless the mosquitos are over 60 years old they have no chance of getting in the vulcano lol.

10. Re: mosquitos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2009, 14:42
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas