We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to chage GBP into Euros

England
1 post
Save Topic
Best place to chage GBP into Euros

Hi Guys,

Where is the best place to change my pounds to euros, i can get 1.10 at the postoffice here in the UK, am i likely to get a better rate over in Tenerife?

Regards,

Dean.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
95,926 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

You will get the best rate if you take a debit card and get cash out of ATMs.

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

Hi Dean,

Don't believe this man Sydneynick - here's the message I posted when he last came on to give people false information.

So Sydneynick are you going to explain yourself yet?

"Well what can I say, Sydneynick you've done it again!

Firstly can I apologise to those who don't know what I am speaking about but this i***t continually comes on here telling people to use their debit card to withdraw money from ATM machines ( I think he must own a company which makes the machines or something). Despite being informed over and over and over again he keeps doing it and despite being asked why - he never answers that question.

Unless you have one of a very limited number of specific cards, that will be an expensive way of getting your holiday money.

I am not going to repeat it again - have a read of this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g673870-i11657-k…

So I think I will now go to the Sydney forum to find out if there are any lunatic asylums there and if they have any patients escaped!

It's the only explanation........."

Well obviously they haven't caught up with him yet - what's your response then Sydneynick?

Nelly

Nelly

tenerife south
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

Teh he!!!!!!!

Looked to see how many postings your Sydney guy has and just imagine him sitting there, up sides down, pontificating the virtues of ATM,s. Handy in case of emergency, suppose so but, bl.... expensive!

On the matter of the o/p question. If the PO are giving you that rate, without any com. or other charge, they may just be the same as here. Normally two/ three points less than official rates here.

tenerife south
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

Had a look around and its 1.1098 in the exchanges I,ve looked at. Make your own mind up but do the PO not charge some fees? If so get it here. Only thing is. With Greece seemingly sorting out their lending arrangements the Euro is strengthening again so the rate may well drop a point or two before Friday.

tbh. Unless you are changing vast sums, the difference is negligible.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
11,459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

well said nelly............

i would and do change my money over there

but we do get taxis to our accommodation, so i do make sure that we have a few euros on us, to pay for our taxis.

where are you staying?

Cockermouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,038 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

the difference between the UK & Tenerife is normally a couple of cents. We normally bring sterling and change in Tenerife as changing a couple of hundred pounds seems better getting that extra euro or two...free pint so to speak... if you have Nationwide or Santander accounts I think you get free withdrawals at the atms but otherwise can be expensive

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
Santander
Santander
Cantabria, Spain
Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

Sorry in my anger at the man from upside down land, I forgot to answer Dean's question and I see the link to the other post didn't work so here it is again

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g673870-i11657-k…

Cheers

Nelly

8. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 April 2010, 14:49
9. Re: Best place to chage GBP into Euros

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2010, 08:15
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas