We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

timeshare alternative approach - beware

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
timeshare alternative approach - beware

Stopped by guy with leaflets on various trips, but also with a ticket that could 'win' you a prize...and of course it did. Told they were promoting the opening of 2 new hotels in Costa Adeje, would we like to go, def not timeshare, just go along see what they are offering and we might like to book for next year. Oh, yeh...well we sat through a 'presentation' told it was being sponsered by visa/mastercard, told them many times we would not be signing up to anything, eventually were shown round apartments, then they started another sales pitch, again reassuring not timeshare....well, it is actually signing up for (buying) weeks for holidays over the next 3 yrs...when they started saying we would in the end get our money back??!! We said enough, stop, and then the approach was not so nice, why had we come, was it just for our prize......which turned out to be a holiday.....conditional that you then also sat through presentations whilst there.....beware they are alive and kicking! We were not the only ones there, so they are busy !

Edited: 05 September 2011, 12:46
Mentioned in this post
Costa Adeje
Costa Adeje
Tenerife, Spain
up north
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

yes the ticket or scratch card is the oldest one in the book !! every one is a winner !!

they don't mention timeshare now, the in word seems to be holiday club. i think if its called timeshare you have two weeks to change your mind even after signing up but this does not apply if they call it a holiday club for some reason ?

anyway still a good warning that these CON ARTISTS are still out there,

if the police turn up they merge into the background asap. a sure sign what they are doing is illegal .

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
919 posts
774 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

Thanks for the heads up. I thought that this problem had disappeared from Tenerife.

Mentioned in this post
Tenerife
Tenerife
Canary Islands, Spain
portsmouth england
Level Contributor
699 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

Yes we were over in February this year November last year and never saw a timeshare tout at all

Edited: 06 September 2011, 09:52
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

If you look on their website ora agency you will get some limited information which confirms their only way of getting customers is the touts on the street,. We were on our 3rd visit in a year, never saw them then before either, but they are not out in force so this may be why. The guy who caught us was nowhere to be seen when we made our way back to the safari centre!! As I said in my original post, we were not the only people there (caught), so they are doing business.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 20:01
hampshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

hi yes it still goes on in tenerife... we were there in june 2011, sat in a beach bar watching a lot of people being stopped with the scratch card trick, then a policeman arrived on a bike and i have never seem time share touts move so quick, if this was legal they wouldnt run away....and if you watch carefully they only stop couples ie male and female, never stop 2 men together or 2 women...my trick has always been to say no thanks i already have a timeshare, that normally works...

Northumberland
Level Contributor
541 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

We've seen them all in there various guises over the years and never understood people getting embroiled in there scams (not having a pop at anyone but do you really go on holiday to but something like what there offering).

If you interested then go for it if your not then just walk on by, as Archie says a polite but firm no thanks as you walk on past will suffice don't stop once you stop they've got you and will roll out the patter.

Once they reconised you've knocked them back a few times they'll leave you alone (mind being easily 6ft + helps !!) the guy that used to stand at the top of the path down to the strip on the junction at the Zentral used to wish us say hello & good morning every time we passed him.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

That is where they are getting clever.....new hotels & shopping complex, free taxi over to see them, you might book for next year etc etc., I do think we got off lightly only lost 90mins of our holiday time (long enough) and good to know they are basically very active. Like the idea of saying we already have an apartment. Feel sorry for anyone who lands up spending hours and experiencing Mr/Ms Happy turning nasty.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

Ora vacations stopped us with scratch card scam spent hours listening to patter signed up like mugs ,then went back next day to cancel spent hour arguing about cancelling agreement eventually did this but refused to give deposit back now using section 75 of consumer credit act reclaim money from them through bank ,it is illegal to not give 14 days cancellation notice and also to take any deposit under uk and eu legislation if anyone as been done by these people go to bank and eu trading standards for help can't stress enough do not sign anything on day we were totally scammed I now know how stupid I was and would not like anyone else going through same thing beware of all these people and there utter disrespect for anyone but themselves

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

Thanks for that we will keep at look out for them,good luck getting everything sorted.

London, UK
Level Contributor
770 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: timeshare alternative approach - beware

Hi,

Silverpoint Holidays use a similar "holiday club" approach. They offer a cheap stay at one of their hotels but the catch is the sell, sell, sell once there. To me, holiday club and timeshare are the same thing! I don't know how good or bad silverpoint are - but they are always at the airport with their "competition" forms!!

Best advice is always to walk on by. It's sad to read about so many people being conned.

Kelly

http://inkellysworld.wordpress.com

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas