We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to go

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malton, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
places to go

going oct 31 for 10 nights any good places to visit and is there a irish bar ????

Tenerife, Spain
Level Contributor
16,821 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to go

Hi Kev,

I particularly like the Claddagh but plenty of Irish bars to choose from you will find one or two on most strips of bars.

Depends what sort of things you like to do as to what is recommended. Do you want to do excursions, whale watching, parks and zoos, water parks, or do you want some day trips to Canarian towns, maybe evening shows. Let us know the sort of thing you like and I am sure you will get loads of recommendations.

http://redqueenmusings.wordpress.com

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,465 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to go

Hi again BK, if you come out of your hotel turn right going past the Marylanza then carry on till you reach the roundabout cross over to the Columbus ,going past its entrance heading downhill till you reach the Colon2 ,(amusement arcade on its corner ) turn left and that is the start of The Patch area of bars of which a few are Irish bars ,"The Dubliner "is very good though doesnt pick up till after midnight normally .But along the Patch are many bars of which i am sure you will find suit you and your needs .Beaware that there is a hill ,down going but up coming back .

Also from the Columbus heading down hill ,on your right some good chinese buffets eat as much as you like ...The Balkonan is a fantasti Lebonese ,Nearly at the bottom on the left is Giddy Goose huge fish chips and mushy peas if your missing the UK !! ,after which is Mama Rosas an excellent italian which looks very basic from the outside but is really lovely inside.

Now if you come out of your hotel (just replied to that post for you ) cross over to the right you will see the back of the local law courts the side nearest your hotel is the car park .Head down the foot path between the car park and the law courts till you reach the corner go slightly across the front of the law courts to the crossing head straight over and straight down going past Mare Ola Portosin and Udella,till you reach a large electrical store(CC Abora on the left of the road .Keep heading with this on your left ,at the next junction you will see to your right Zentral Centre hotel at this junction head left towards the Safari Centre .Just before you reach the Safari Centre on the left you will see a row of bars restaurants etc this is known as "The Paz Strip " which again has some great places ,so its really up to you to find what suits .This will take approx 15/20 mins walk but is totally flat .

map link tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

Law Courts just over the road from your hotel not shown ...square E7

Columbus down to Colon2 .....square D7

Mare Ola portosin,Udella Park ,Electrical store (CC Aborra ...square E8

Hope this helps

Northumberland
Level Contributor
449 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to go

If you like driving, i would definitely recommend hiring a car and driving the island, especially up & over Tiede.

The drive over Tiede is absolutely stunning (up and over via Vilaflor and the long road back down via Tamaimo through the lava fields & forest are my favourite drives of anywhere.)

To be honest probably would not be anywhere near as nice if on a bus trip because you can stop where & when you want, at villages & viewing points etc etc.. all in your own time.

Give it a go its well worth it.

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas
Level Contributor
770 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to go

Hi BlythSpirit66,

Are you able to give me directions for the route that you describe above from PDLA? Or recommend a good map?!

I have never driven in Tenerife before as have always been worried about forgetting to drive on the "wrong" side or not giving way correctly on roundabouts/junctions lol!

However, so many people do it that i am determined to hire a car next time we go and your little trip sounds lovely.

Thanks,

Kelly

Northumberland
Level Contributor
449 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to go

Hi kel

I've always preferred driving abroad have always thought it easier than at home, and most of roads on Tenerife are excellent.

Where ever you hire a car from they will (or should) provide at map for you or try the very good google maps, just put in Tenerife there are even street maps for some part of the island.

but basically the way we go is...

out of PDLA or LC you want the TF-28 through Chayofa then join the TF-51 up to Vilaflor where it becomes the TF-21 which will take up up through the forest on to the 'top' of Tiede.

Once up there you'll pass the mountain stopping points and the many viewing points on the road sides.

Staying on the TF-21 down the other side you'll come through many villages and La Orotava before eventually coming to Puerto del a Cruz (well worth a visit).

Come back the same way but hang a right follow the TF-28 it's a great drive or even come back the long way around the TF-28 past the Dragon tree.

Edited: 13 September 2011, 10:43
Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to go

I was also going to recommend a trip to Masca (a precariously perched mountain village) but due to the rather steep/narrow road and as a first-time driver using the right-hand side of the road, maybe save that for another time!

London, UK
Destination Expert
for Playa de las Americas
Level Contributor
770 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to go

Ha Ha!

Thanks for your advice. I'm sure i will get the hang of it.... lol!

I have done some lovely coach trips around the island but the independence of a car will be great - if scary!

Kelly

8. Re: places to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas