We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Me and my wife are off to PDLA at the end of June and as its an unexpected holiday we are doing all of it on a low budget,we are staying at the Green Garden resort self catering so we will be stocking up on beer etc for the room.

I was wondering if anyone could let me know what the best supermarket would be to get beer/spirits from and a few snacks for the room,we dont mind walking(sounds like we have to from our hotel lol) to the supermarket but of course we would get a taxi back.

Even though we are on a strict budget we still would like to eat out for breakfast and dinner so i was wondering what places would be great value and nice food to eat, Budget wise we would be looking at 30 -35 euros a day

Look forward to all your advice

Sunderland
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Cannot help with place names , but it is possible to get English breakfasts for 3 -4 euros and set menu 3 course meals including a drink for 8-10 euros .

Food to buy can be around the same price as at home ,but supermarket beer is fairly cheap .

Hope you get more detailed help soon .

Enjoy your holiday ,

up north
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

the place is a bit far out and near the golf course, there are a few places to buy food and drink down the hill near the oro blanco/negro but not sure about prices to be honest, a taxi back is a good idea !!

there are quite a few eating drinking places down the same road.

shop around for the best supermarket because prices can vary a lot , water can be double price at some places compared with others.

Paisley
Level Contributor
138 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Apparently the mercadonas supermarket in las americas is the best value in the resort! And El cedros restaurant (also in las americas) comes highly recommended on here and does a full english for around 2.75 euros? I think u even get Toast and tea/coffee with it? As for directions you'll need to ask other peeps on here as I haven't been in a while! Where's Onelegnofeet or Aguilas when u need them?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

What would i do

take some food with you, i think it's cheaper to take than to buy when on holiday, plus i'm on holiday don't want to be trapsing round a supermarket, do enough of that when i'm at home.

take 3 or 2 in 1 coffee sachets, so no milk needed.

We also take baker boys muffins 4 for 99p each is individually wrapped, so when we go the beach we take a sandwich and one of these.

Result means breakfast on the balcony cost nothing, And we can sit in our pj's watching what's gone on.

Take a couple of tins of m&s ham/chicken/turkey with you

When on holiday buy 2 or 4 rolls and 2 tomatos, and that's your dinner done.

And you've spent next to nothing so far

Go out at night and have one of the evening meals that are advertised around 8 euros for 3 courses, or a all you can eat chinese again for 7 euros.

So with a drink (some include drinks) should cost 20 euros

then either do a all dayer and have 20 pints of a euro a pint lager

or buy a 3 euro bottle of lira wine have that on the balcony before you go out.

And then go for a walk and you've 17 euros left to spend at night for a drink

But to be honest, and i dont' drink a lot, this wouldn't do for me, because the bars we go to where there is evening entertainment a vodka tonic is 5 euros.

That is where the biggest part of people budjet goes on the price of drinks at night.

Or you could make your way down to puerto colon, and the kandi lounge where a pint is 1.5 euros and there is entertainment on during the day, so your sat in the sun having a drink, and watching a act.

then go back to the apts and have a bottle of wine on the balcony.

People will come on and call us tight etc for taking stuff for us, but it's not about being tight, it's about 4 women who when we get on holiday can't be bothered to go to a supermarket, and it does save us a bit of money.

So it can be done but it's a bit of a stretch.

good luck and let us know how you get on.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Me and my friends are back in PDLA on Fri, we are on a bit of a budget too, as we only got back a month ago! lol. We are planning to eat brekkie at one of the 3 euro places and then have a 3 course meal for 8 euros, and buy a bottle of barcardi for around 9 euros in the shop to have a few drinks at night before heading out. We know there is a place called the Aberdeen Steak House near us that does the 3 euro breakfast and 8 euro dinner so we will probably head there!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Heres a map link Flmuk ( cripes nearly got that wrong !!!)

tenerifetravel.com/maps/southtenerife_large.…

allow 10 mins to cross each square as an approximation .

Your hotel is in square F7 formerly Green Golf

Supermarket ...Mercadonnas has the best selection and prices imo ,its in square E8 left at CC Abora marked in yellow .

Hiperdinos supermarket ,a tad more expensive is left at the columbus hotel square D7and just over from California apts .

Iceland ....square D7 opposite Colon 1 & 2 ,only just opened so dont know if its cheap in comparison ,but my daughter who lives there really rates the butchers dept in Iceland

Edited: 30 May 2012, 20:50
cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

El Cedros is under Parque Santiago 2

Slow Boat eat as much as you like chinese buffet just over from The Columbus ,but be aware drinks are a tad more and you are expected to buy at least one ...

Look out for boards advertising "Menu Del Dia" ...normally three courses for 8 euros some even give a free glass of wine

Ireland, UK
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

The cheapest place for spirits (9 euros ) for Smirnoff, gin ,bacardi etc are the Spanish style shops . Mercadonna have brought their prices down this year too and (or were in March) just 10 euros . They also do a lot of Spanish makes of spirits much cheaper which I haven't tried as I don't know enough about how good they are. Maybe someone can advise? If you are on a budget eating breakfast and lunch in your apartment will save you a lot as it's not so much the food as the drinks can work out expensive. I think Lenny's given you good ideas for what to bring. I would just add tea bags to that list. The more you can bring the less you will have to spend. El Cedros at Parc Santiago 2 do an excellent breakfast for 3 euros and you could get your carryout from Spanish style when you're there as it's just round the corner. Enjoy your holiday.

England
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Id Like to thank everyone for taking time to post advice on my money saving holiday,cant wait to get on that plane!!

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,463 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: PDLA on a strict budget....Advice please!!!

Plane???...swim its cheaper!!!lol

Buy the 10/15 litre bottles of water ,then decant it to smaller bottles for the fridge ,amazing how much can be saved that way

Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas