We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

breakages

Which Playa de las Americas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
279 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
breakages

i was looking to stay in a villa at easter next year.everything was fine until we read we would be asked to pay £700 in cash refunded at the end of the holiday.i wondered if anyone knows if that is a normal procedure.i understand they have to protect themselves.but it does seem a lot of money.thanks in advance

tipperary
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: breakages

That is some amount of money to part with , I would research reviews from previous guests to see how easy it is to get your deposit back . You read some horror stories about deposits being held back for flimsy reasons so before you book check it out ,

regards Deedee

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,291 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: breakages

They do ask you to pay a deposit for damages but last year we did a rental that charged zero and in mainland Spain I think it was £250. £700 is excessive and I'd be cautious of paying that much in case there were any problems getting it back. Perhaps query it with the landlord if you really love the property and make an offer of less than half of what they are asking for. Good luck.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: breakages

My daughter paid £75 for breakages and getting returning the key

That seems one steep amount of money

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: breakages

CRIPES!!! i understand deposits for breakages etc ,this also happens on arrival at hotels.....but its usually just done via your credit card but you dont sign it ,that comes if you have caused damage at the end of your stay >Thats a large amount £700 in cash .Which how sue can you be to get the whole or a smaller amount back , some owners may well say "well this that the other was fine till you came in !!".....Would i trust this ??Not on your nelly !!

TIP .....Look elsewhere

Fochabers, United...
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: breakages

Ridiculous!

We rent out our 3 bedroom villa and charge £100 deposit. We take the precaution of not renting to more than 4 adults to avoid the hen/stag party types. Maybe I've been lucky but in 3 years we've maybe had a couple of mugs and glasses broken. If you have priceless antiques on display maybe you shouldn't be renting your villa out.

Of course, we also have proper insurance to cover the fact that we are renting which would cover any major damage in any case.

cleethorpes
Level Contributor
11,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: breakages

Talking about this with a friend tonight .....he said " thats more like a bond for a long lease let ",i had not thought of it that way .Which brings up another thought ,maybe its a residential complex which shouldnt be letting on a tourist basis !

North Wales, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: breakages

Stay away as others say, look eleswhere i would.

8. Re: breakages

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 20:42
Get answers to your questions about Playa de las Americas